Strange Computer Behavior

My computer has been acting strangely recently.  About every half hour,
approximately, it locks up for about 25 seconds.  During this time, the
hard disk activity light is lit.  After about 25 seconds, the hard disk
light goes out and the computer returns to normal.  What ever was in
progress, including downloading, continues with apparently nothing lost.

What I would like to investigate first are some of the memory resident
programs.  I would like to prevent these from loading but don't know
what causes them to load in the first place.

When I call up the task list, here is what's loaded (besides Explorer
and Systray, which Windows requires):

1. Iowatch
2. Imgicon
(the above two are used bu my Zip drive, but I don't know what causes
them to load)

3. Osa
4. Rundll32
5. Robot

If anybody knows what these do and how to keep them from loading, Iwould
appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.  Mike