Re: Cable protection

This is a real problem.  I lost a BMI box and the serial port to which
it was connected due to a spike carried by the cable, along with a TV
and a VCR.

How did I eliminate other causes, you might ask.  Everything else
is on power protection equipment, including the power to the BMI
box.  Nothing else was damaged.  The damage was obvious immediately
after a lightening strike.

Ron Augustine wrote:

> Your Cable company should be able to provide a device that will ground your
> Cable link in the event of a major power surge.

Cable companies are not necessarily experts, but mine said there is
no such device that is worth having.  However, some other answers
have made suggestions of devices to try.

> If you live in a house
> where it is possible to drive a iron stake in the ground, the fix is fairly
> simple.

Does not necessarily work, mine is (and was) grounded that way by
the cable co.

--

J. Rodney Grisham, Ph.D.                   RevTech Industries, Inc.
E-mail: grisham@xxxxxxxxxxx                Houston, Texas USA