Re: Discretionary and Money Mgt

Uhh, I am going to say delicate things here, which may destabilize you a bit,
so if your alerts go off Tom, just stop reading please, I really don't want to
mess with your psy balance. This is really only if you want to press a bit
further on your skill, which I find pretty well tuned already. In fact, you'd
be among the very few fully intuitive traders I know who have mastered their
technique to an advanced level!

OK, now, my few thoughts:

You are limiting yourself, intentionally that is, and you don't like it. It
seems to me you have a belief you cannot do better, or it is dangerous to do
so. I believe the contrary. One can always improve, in all areas, including
those where you put blockers. Now don't go and apply what  I am going to say
like that, but I trust you know already, that would not be the thing todo.
Before everything, IF a part of you wants to push your limits, and I believe
there must be one, or else you wouldn't post this, then figure out what it is
it wants to accomplish, what it's intention is for you. Whatever your "parts"
are doing, they  always do so for some good "higher" reason, generally to
protect you. I'd venture to say part of you wants more monetary rewards for
your efforts, but the current dominant parts block this desire because of past
traumatic losses. Traumatic meaning they hurt you and your self esteem, not
necessarily your wallet.

>From what I infer here, you:
- Are confortable trading very short,
- Are intentionnally trading constant size (even if you vary according to
intensity)
- Don't want to believe in virtues of increasing trading size, and find
arguments for.
- Don't feel confortable trading long term.

No critiques here, just a feeling you try and avoid everything that may boost
your returns beyond your current confort zone.

Like everything else you've done so far, you can improve further. You do not
have to change your preferences, but you should not rule out alternatives or
new additional ways on the exclusive ground that it is dangerous.
- You trade very short because it reassures your sense of control. No stops (if
I remember) + constant screen presence mean you must wear out fast, so indeed,
it is not a good idea to extend too much time horizon. But make sure, this is
what you really want, not what you do so as to avoid something else, like fear
of pressing the trade further, and risking losing most of the profits so far.
Make sure all of your parts really agree on everything.
- Constant size helps you coping with your internal pressure. You may have
unpleasant recollections of past losses occurring while increasing size, and
you don't want to renew the feeling. However, if you stop moving ahead, you
also expose yourself to more severe consequences, should you incur losses in or
outside your trading. It is easier to cope with unforeseen events in your life
while sitting on $1million than $200K. Your part wanting to avoid big losses
should also consider that.
- Increasing trading size will inevitably increase the size of your losses, but
you should also have larger winners. and if managed properly, your "dynamic"
equity curve should not drop below your "constant" equity curve. Drawdowns will
be larger, but stop above, where you'd been otherwise nevertheless.
- Long term: another way to avoid tackling issues which could lead to increased
equity. Make sure, it is because you believe you make a better return on short
trading. Make sure also you are sufficiently diversified so as to weather
setbacks in your short term trading.

Just thinking,

Gwenn