Re: Discretionary and Money Mgt

Tom Cathey wrote:

> I am strictly a counter-trend trader, attempting to buy or sell a
> panic....never buy break-outs anymore....used to.
> Well, maybe on a rare occassion, but for the most part, I usually regret
> these "public trades".  I look for these "counter-trend" entries  to turn
> into "with the trend" trades, of course.

I don't take breakout trades in S&P's. They are a strange animal and though I
trade them, they seem made to counter such efforts.

> I do not scale in/scale out ...just initiate all at one price.  I know
> Tudor Jones is a strong advocate of scaling in and out...so who am I to
> say?

I don't scale in or out generally. I tend to execute at the market. I never add
to positions, ala pyramiding. One of my early mentors told: 'Double up and
throw up.'

> My biggest losses have usually come after a big score. (sound familiar?) This
>
> is really true for me probably due to overconfidence. It's almost a way of
> protecting myself from myself.

This is why I keep my position constant and use an equivalent risk matrix to
determine position size. Otherwise, after a big winning trade, I'll double or
triple my trade size and...well, you know what happens then.

Best in your trades...

Tim Morge