Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost" in Enhanced System Test

I do the same thing.  Put a large number in for equity.  It seems to me that
from the way the System Tester works, your equity needs to be large relative
to the "unit" price of the security.  That way you get a minimal impact from
the stupid broker module.  What is large?  I'd say 100X or so probably is
good. with a 1000X even greater.  So if you are trading the DOW, which has a
price in the 10,000 range you need a starting equity of 10,000,000 or
greater.

Now none of us has that kind of money but that is irrelevant.
To me the actual value of the equity curve is of no interest.  Only the
shape is.  As for the equity curve that is all I look at.  How smooth is it,
how regular, etc.

I don't put any emphasis  on the % return either.  What is important to me
is the number of trades, % winners,  and Ave Win/Ave Loss, and the Ave Gain
per trade.
I use those to compare systems.

I need 30+ trades ( and 100+ is better) or the results are not statistically
valid.

And I agree with you that Equis thinking on this was totally flawed. I guess
they thought that in the real world you get a signal tonight and call your
broker to buy X shares in the morning using your entire account. They think
that the broker will not actually buy the next day if the price is higher
and you don't have enough  money in your account.  But, your broker will
execute the order, he'll just buy fewer shares because it is his job and in
his interest to execute the trades and get his commision.
I was told that the idea for this came from the President of Equis.  That's
probably why it has not been changed despite the complaints.

Tom