RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost" in Enhanced System Test

  • To: <equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost" in Enhanced System Test
  • From: "=?utf-8?B?zqDOrc+Ez4HOv8+CIM6bzqzOts6/z4I=?=" <peterl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 06:14:56 -0700
  • Title: Message

When u test
Indicies, use the points only test
<FONT face=Arial
size=2>P.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Andrew Tomlinson
  [mailto:andrew_tomlinson@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Friday, May 14, 2004
  3:31 AMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE:
  [EquisMetaStock Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost" in Enhanced System
  TestTomThanks - I have read and studied
  your guide and it’s the main reason thatI've started to get anywhere at
  all with system tester. Your comments belowon interpreting the report
  statement also help a lot. But every time I run atest I find something
  else that requires a couple hours thought on why itdoesn't work like I
  expect.For example, I was running system tests yesterday on the DJIA,
  100% equity.It took me a while to realize that unlike earlier versions of
  MS, MS 8/9 wasonly investing whole numbers of Dow "units". So to get the
  same result as  atest that really invested 100% of equity, I had to
  use an invested amount of$100 million (i.e. so that the remaining
  uninvested amount wasinsignificant). As the reports don't put commas
  between 000's, this getsunwieldy quickly. And the idea that the results
  can vary with the amountinvested is counterintuitive for most of us. What
  were they thinking??Thanks again for your
  help.Andrew-----Original Message-----From: Tom Sprunger
  [mailto:tlsprunger@xxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 4:30
  PMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [EquisMetaStock
  Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost" inEnhanced System
  TestAndrew,  J Locatelli,Some of your questions and
  problems should be covered in the doc belowposted in the Files section on
  this group.Sprunger Guide to MS ver8.docGo read it
  carefully.The v8/9 testers have a broker module.  Equis attempted
  to make it"realistic".   Yeah, right.  Like anyone actually
  trades like this.When the tester gets a signal it calculates the
  number of shares to buy andpasses it to the broker.  The broker
  places the trade if there aresufficient funds etc. Otherwise it cancels
  it.Considered :  means a signal has been
  generated.Placed:   means an order was sent to the broker for a
  specific number ofshares based on the price on the bar the signal was
  generated and the equitybeing usedOpen:  means the broker put the
  order in. If on a buy, you will get filledif the price is lower than on
  the bar the signal was generated, otherwiseyou will not.Executed:
  means the order was filledCancelled - open cost: means the order was not
  filled because the price onthe next bar is more (for a buy) than the price
  calculated on the signal barCancelled- Position Limit:  means the
  order was not filled because you hadthe max number of position already
  open Cancelled - Zero Size: means you didnot have enough equity to buy 1
  shareThere may be some others.Jose, on your specific
  question,(Considered)   at 15:50 you got a signal to buy 3494
  shares(Placed)  at 15:50 the order for 3494 shares was sent to the
  broker toexecute on the next bar (Cancelled - Open Cost) at 15:55, the
  order for 3492shares was opened and then cancelled because the price was
  higher than theprice where the 3494 shares were calculated.You are
  probably using 100% of your equity, right?  So  at 15:50 when
  thesignal was generated it divided your equity by the price on the signal
  andcame up with 3494 shares.  On the next bar at 15:55, the price
  went upenough that to buy 3494 shares would have taken more funds than you
  hadequity.  So instead of just buying a share or two less, which is
  what anyreal trader would do, it cancelled the entire order and you missed
  thesignal.   No trade.Tom-----
  Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Tomlinson"
  <andrew_tomlinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>To:
  <equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 7:33
  AMSubject: RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost"
  inEnhanced System TestEven better, if someone has a
  list of the comments that appear in the ordersreport with explanations.
  None of them are documented in the manual. I am onthe verge of giving up
  on Metastock 8/9 as a platform for system testing.Too many undocumented
  bizarre little tricks to get it to do simple tests. Ihaven't done a single
  system test on this platform that I really haveconfidence in. Not a basis
  for successful trading.(forgive my bitching. Just spent another 4
  hours yesterday trying to match asimple system with Colby, with mixed
  results)Andrew-----Original Message-----From:
  jose_locatelli [mailto:jmlocatelli@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, May 12,
  2004 7:30 AMTo: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [EquisMetaStock
  Group] Event "Cancelled - Open Cost" in EnhancedSystem
  TestHi,I wrote a system test and during the its simulation
  some enter signals arecancelled, with a "Cancelled - Open Cost" event
  reported on the Ordersreport, shown below. I didn´t find any reference to
  this type of event inthe help and in the MS8 manual.Can any of you
  explain what this event means? And how to avoid it?174 23/4/2004 14:50
  5 Considered
  Sell 3494 Market   2Signal174 23/4/2004 14:50 5
  Placed
  Sell 3494 Market   2Signal175 23/4/2004 14:55 5
  Opened
  Sell 3494 Market   2Signal175 23/4/2004 14:55 5
  Executed
  Sell 3494 Market $2.8500Open 2 Signal184 23/4/2004 15:50 6
  Considered
  Buy 3492 Market    Signal184 23/4/2004 15:50 6
  Placed
  Buy 3492 Market    Signal185 23/4/2004 15:55 6 Cancelled -
  Open cost Buy 3492 Market
  SignalRegards,LocatelliYahoo!
  Groups LinksYahoo! Groups
  LinksYahoo! Groups