Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] You can't sell your MetaStock 7.2 !!!!

First, you cant make any assumptions unless you have the full facts
from a reliable source. Just because you see 7.2 sold on ebay doesnt
necessarily answer the legal questions or make it legal.

Second, the emphasis by the software companies is always placed on
the latest versions...they wont concentrate on older versions that
they DONT sell anymore. Ask a computer repair guy to install someone
elses copy of windows 98...he will do it...ask him to install someone
elses copy of windows XP he wont. The guy who purchases 6.52 on ebay,
if he wants to upgrade most likely will pay full price because he is
not recognized by Equis as a licensed user.

Third, if a seller had purchased from an out of business re-seller
copies of full packaged retail versions doesnt necessarily make it
legal. The new seller still has to get written authorization from
Metastock to be a legal re-seller. So without knowing the facts, we
cannot make assumptions just because we see it with our own eyes. Do
you always believe everything you read? Whether one is a re-seller or
a user of Metastock you still need to make the deal with Equis
directly. If you buy metastock from a re-seller, he has to be
authorized from Equis to sell it to you or else its not legal.
I am just trying to clarify things in a simple way...if one picks on
a certain thing I say because "technically" it was not said right, it
would just add confusion.

When you pay for Metastock, you sign an agreement for "use of" and
not "ownership of" the software according to the terms of said
agreement. Very similar in concept to leasing an apartment. Once you
renew your apartment lease (Metastock upgrade) the new lease is valid
and not the old lease...terms could be the same or may have changed
and you never own the apartment but have signed an agreement for use
of it according to the terms of the lease.

I wrote this reply quickly...please just try to understand the basic
idea of what I am trying to say and dont concentrate on the
gramatical or syntax errors that you might spot. Whether you have
only one version of metastock or 10 upgrades, you are considered one
user using one copy of metastock....if you renew your lease 10 times,
you are still one lessee leasing one apt. YOu dont own Metastock nor
do you own the apt.

I am done. This is so basic and I wont get into this again. All I
know is that no matter how upset people get at the agreement, Equis
has their legal rights/obligations to the ownership of metastock and
we users have our rights/obligations to the use of it according to
the terms of the contract. Dont sign anything or agree to anything
before you totally understand the implications. CAveat emptor...buyer
beware.

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, JayTownsend@xxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 9/10/2003 11:58:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> no_reply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> > If your response was valid eBay would not exist!
>
> MetaStock/Equis monitors eBay, as does Microsoft and many other
software
> vendors.  If any illegal copy of MetaStock is offered for auction,
MetaStock
> alerts eBay and the auction is canceled.  I have seen MS 8.0
offered on eBay, and
> I've seen the auctions disappear.  However, I've never seen the
auctions for MS
> 7.2 or earlier pulled from eBay.  My assumption is that MetaStock
does not
> consider them illegal copies, but you know that the buyer will
never receive any
> MetaStock support for that item.  That's why they sell for $20.
There are
> currently 2 auctions for MS 6.5 going on.
>
> On eBay, IF you do a search for "MetaStock" in both titles and
descriptions,
> you will find comments in descriptions of non-MetaStock sellers,
that they
> have MetaStock plug-ins.  If you then email that seller requesting
a specific
> plug-in, they will let you know whether or not you have it and if
they do, you
> will be offered one of the many (but not all) plug-ins that MS
sells for $300,
> for the $60-70 range.  A full retail package, not a copy, with full
> documentation.  I have been told that these are packages that the
seller has purchased in
> large quantities from an authorized MetaStock reseller who went out
of
> business.  Are they legal?  Or illegal?  Good question.  If the
seller offers them
> for auction, MetaStock has the auction stopped.  I've seen that.
But by

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/BefplB/TM