[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Life is Too Short

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, pumrysh <no_reply@xxxx> wrote:
> kut2k2,
>
> It is possible that Jurik's indicators would allow you to
auto-adjust
> the lookback period of other indicators but I have no first hand
> knowledge of this.

Neither do I. I just reported what I read at his website:

http://www.jurikres.com/catalog/ms_cfb.htm#top

> The whole adaptive issue in Metastock has been going on for a long
> time now. I would have thought that a third party would have
designed
> a DLL for this purpose by now. There may well be some that I am not
> aware of though. There are none that are being given away.
> Proprietary/Blackbox DLL's and indicators are highly guarded and
> protected. In most cases you may be able to purchase a DLL but you
> will not be able to crack the code.
>
> I am aware of some private groups that have developed an adaptive
DLL
> but in order to get a copy you would need to be a member of the
> group.
>
> In the end I think you need to consider whether an adaptive
indicator
> is really worth all the effort. My own observations are that they
> really are not. Place your time and effort in learning good
technical
> analysis methods. Most of the really good TA people use very simple
> tools and methods.
>
> Preston

Very simple tools seldom work consistently in an ever-changing market.
 The whole point of adaptive indicators is to account at least
partially for market changes. That's their potential for enhancing a
trading system.

A lot of people completely misunderstand what the power of, say, an
adaptive moving average (AMA) is. If someone uses it as a crossover
basis for raw price, that is exactly the wrong usage. But if you
replace a fastEMA/slowEMA crossover system with an AMA/slowEMA
crossover system, you almost certainly will have a faster system with
no tangible increase in whipsaws, as a rule. It all depends on the
quality of the AMA (big hint: Kaufman's is great as a learning tool,
lousy as an actual trading tool).

What I am currently trying to achieve is a super-adaptive MA: an AMA
with a self-adjusting lookback period. That's why MS's lack of dynamic
time periods, or even a looping option, is such a major limitation.

I thought your "adaptive DLL" was a special tool for auto-adjusting
lookbacks but it sounds like it's just a canned AMA. I already have an
AMA that's better than anything in the public domain (I guess that
makes it "proprietary" <g>) but I need to make it dynamic in lookback
for it to reach maximum power. Thanks for your response.

Good trading,
kut2k2

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.