RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] v8 System Tester Issues and how to fix.

<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>Tom,
<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>
I am aware how the
system tester places trades.  I've been using MS off and one since the
'80's and have been using 8.0 since it was released.  Although I am focused
on the ES and use the points only option in my system testing, I did run some
sample tests using the % equity option before responding this
morning.  By changing various options, I was able to generate
quite a number of different results.  I was also able to duplicate your
"taking the trade problem".  I agree with you that when using the system
tester, you need to look on the orders screen to make sure all the orders
considered were executed.
<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>
I have also used
the "ref()" function in the past to fix problems with entries.

<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>
I'm not clear from
your emails if you have been able to get the system tester working the way you
want to or not (did the ref() work for you)?  If not, why not post your
intended entries/exits and let's see if I, or someone else in the group, can
find a solution?  I often find that MS will allow you to do just about
anything if you work at it.
<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>
Good
Trading,
<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>
Joe
J.
<SPAN
class=783291321-12052003>

  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <FONT color=#0000ff
    size=2>
    Joe, here are my
    comments on your comments.  I'm not sure you understand how the tester
    places trades  (or doesn't).   Read
    on.
    c. Trade Price -- the v7 tester
    allowed you to select the price field(O,H,L,C) for entry and exit and
    the delay for each.  In other words youcould have different
    delays for entry and exit.The v8 tester does not allow different delays
    for entry and exit.  It usesthe same delay for all entries and
    exits.  The v8 tester also allowsdifferent price fields for the
    long and short entries and exits, which thev7 did not.  But there
    is more you should know.... read o<FONT
    size=2>n
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>Joe:  V8 does allow for different delays
    on the entries and exits.  There are two places to do this.
    First on the buy/short screen you can set the "Strategic Delay(bars)" or if
    you notice on the Trade Execution tab it says "Delay order Opening
    XX".
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>Tom:  the Delay on
    the Trade Execution Tab applies to all buys/sells.  You can't set the
    Buy to delay = 1, and the sell to delay = 0 on this
    tab.
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003><FONT
    color=#ff0000 size=2>The buy/short
    screen delays you refer to are in the description of the specific System
    Test you wrote.     <FONT
    face=Arial><SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>They will delay the signal but won't solve
    the "take the trade" problem.  You will still potentially miss
    trades.  Actually if you read the manual this is to allow for
    delays from your data vendor.  When I ran this test using a
    delay of 1 day for all the executions, I still got a very
    different answer from using the Ref() function, which matched my 7.2
    results.  Frankly I'm not exactly sure how this approach
    works, but since it doesn't work like 7.2, I'm not going to spend a lot of
    time figuring it out.
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>With respect to your "% of margin problem", on the
    system testing options screen, you may want to change the % of
    Available Equity to 50% instead of 100%.  This should eliminate
    the problems of not having enough to enter the trade.
    Realistically, you are probably never going to put 100% of your account
    into one trade anyway.
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>Tom: Changing to 50% of available equity
    changes nothing.  It just tries to buy with 50% Equity instead of
    100%.  Let's say you have $1000 equity.  Then you get a signal
    today and the the price today is $20.00.  The system will try to buy 50
    shares tomorrow if you have set at 100%.  However if the open price is
    $20.01, the order will be cancelled and there will be no trade.
    Changing to 50% Equity does nothing.  It just means that it will try to
    buy 25 shares tomorrow.  If the open is $20.01 it still will not buy
    because you told it to only use 50% of the equity.

    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003><FONT
    face=Arial><SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>When working with the system tester, I always
    recommend putting the "system" into the indicator builder and plotting
    out the signals in some sort of "dot" or +1 (long)/-1 (short) format so that
    you can double check to make sure everything is working the way you
    want before relying on the system tester's
    results.
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>
    <SPAN
    class=268390717-12052003>Tom: Agreed. That is how I found these
    problems.  By the way, it should be noted that the signals are
    generated properly in the system tester.   The problem comes in
    with the Broker module which places the trades.  You may have a valid
    signal generated but the Broker won't place the trade.  You can see
    this in the ORDERS report.  You will see Considered and Placed if there
    is a signal generated.  What you may then see is Cancelled.  This
    is because the Broker calculated the number of shares it could buy the day
    of the signal, then the price changed, and the so the Broker could not buy
    that number of shares.  Then you see Cancelled.   Its the
    Broker module that screws up the equity  and return results.  But
    its all part of the System
  tester.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor