Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] v8 System Tester Issues and how to fix.

<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  Joe, here are my
  comments on your comments.  I'm not sure you understand how the tester
  places trades  (or doesn't).   Read
  on.
  c. Trade Price -- the v7 tester
  allowed you to select the price field(O,H,L,C) for entry and exit and the
  delay for each.  In other words youcould have different  delays
  for entry and exit.The v8 tester does not allow different delays for entry
  and exit.  It usesthe same delay for all entries and exits.  The
  v8 tester also allowsdifferent price fields for the long and short entries
  and exits, which thev7 did not.  But there is more you should
  know.... read o<SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>n
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>Joe:  V8 does allow for different delays
  on the entries and exits.  There are two places to do this.
  First on the buy/short screen you can set the "Strategic Delay(bars)" or if
  you notice on the Trade Execution tab it says "Delay order Opening
  XX".
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>Tom:  the Delay on
  the Trade Execution Tab applies to all buys/sells.  You can't set the Buy
  to delay = 1, and the sell to delay = 0 on this
  tab.
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003><FONT
  color=#ff0000 size=2>The buy/short
  screen delays you refer to are in the description of the specific System Test
  you wrote.     <FONT
  face=Arial><SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>They will delay the signal but won't solve
  the "take the trade" problem.  You will still potentially miss
  trades.  Actually if you read the manual this is to allow for delays
  from your data vendor.  When I ran this test using a delay of 1
  day for all the executions, I still got a very different answer from
  using the Ref() function, which matched my 7.2 results.  Frankly I'm
  not exactly sure how this approach works, but since it doesn't work like
  7.2, I'm not going to spend a lot of time figuring
  it out.
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>With respect to your "% of margin problem", on the
  system testing options screen, you may want to change the % of
  Available Equity to 50% instead of 100%.  This should eliminate the
  problems of not having enough to enter the trade.  Realistically,
  you are probably never going to put 100% of your account into one trade
  anyway.
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>Tom: Changing to 50% of available equity
  changes nothing.  It just tries to buy with 50% Equity instead of
  100%.  Let's say you have $1000 equity.  Then you get a signal today
  and the the price today is $20.00.  The system will try to buy 50 shares
  tomorrow if you have set at 100%.  However if the open price is $20.01,
  the order will be cancelled and there will be no trade.   Changing
  to 50% Equity does nothing.  It just means that it will try to buy 25
  shares tomorrow.  If the open is $20.01 it still will not buy because you
  told it to only use 50% of the equity.
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003><FONT
  face=Arial><SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>When working with the system tester, I always
  recommend putting the "system" into the indicator builder and plotting
  out the signals in some sort of "dot" or +1 (long)/-1 (short) format so that
  you can double check to make sure everything is working the way you want
  before relying on the system tester's
  results.
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>
  <SPAN
  class=268390717-12052003>Tom: Agreed. That is how I found these
  problems.  By the way, it should be noted that the signals are generated
  properly in the system tester.   The problem comes in with the
  Broker module which places the trades.  You may have a valid signal
  generated but the Broker won't place the trade.  You can see this in the
  ORDERS report.  You will see Considered and Placed if there is a signal
  generated.  What you may then see is Cancelled.  This is because the
  Broker calculated the number of shares it could buy the day of the signal,
  then the price changed, and the so the Broker could not buy that number of
  shares.  Then you see Cancelled.   Its the Broker module that
  screws up the equity  and return results.  But its all part of the
  System
tester.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor