Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Problem with LowestSince function

Roy:

Thanks for the explaination of when true/false is required. I must admit I have lots of trouble understanding the nuances of the Metastock manual.

Unfortunately, your
"LowestSince(1,H>Ref(HHV(HIGH,40),-1),LOW)"
doesn't work any better than my
"H1:=HHV(HIGH,40);
LowestSince(1,H1=HIGH,LOW)".

Both get in trouble when the high rises and falls, yet does not exceed a previous high over the 40 period. Trying charting any stock that rises and falls (i.e., is not trending). Then plot an Indicator of "HHV(HIGH,40)". Then plot a 2nd indicator of either of the two LowestSince() formulas above. You will see that there are spots where the HHV indicator drops over time to pick up a newer (and lower) HHV, but the LowestSince() doesn't recognize the newer HHV, and therefore doesn't change the Low as it should. (It make take looking at several stocks before you find one with the correct relations of relative highs.)

I thought I had a solution by calculating the period back to when the HHV occurred, and then substituting that period into llv(); such as
"H1:=HHVBars(HIGH,40);
llv(low,H1)"
but Metastock will not allow a variable for the period in llv() [although it does allow variables for periods in formulas such as rsi().]

So I am stuck. With your vast experience in using these Metastock formulas, perhaps you have another suggestion.

And yes, when I can get something to chart correctly, my plan is to use it in the Explorer, and hopefully also in the System Tester.

Harry

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/BefplB/TM