From: "bex1210" <hmw3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2003 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Problem with LowestSince function

> Roy:
>
> Thanks for the rapid response.
>
> I think I understand the "periods" suggestion, and will set that up as a
separate Indicator to call by Explorations.

> But I don't understand your response on LowestSince(), or my question was
not phrased well, or both!

> I was first trying to use LowestSince () in a chart. It was my
understanding, from one of your earlier posts, that Indicators in charts
scan ALL loaded data; so minimum should not be an issue as it is in the
Explorer.

> When I try to chart an Indicator using "LowestSince(1,HHV(HIGH,40),LOW)",
I get a plot line identical to the Low of each day (i.e., I get today's low
today, yesterday's low for yesterday, etc.)

> I then thought that perhaps there had to be some form of cross for
LowestSince() to function, so I created an Indicator which used:
> H1:=HHV(HIGH,40);
> LowestSince(1,H1=HIGH,LOW)
>
> This at least plots a curve, and works correctly part of the time, but
when the stock price (High) rises and subsequently falls over a period of
time, AND the resulting High is below my calculated H1, then LowestSince()
calculates the wrong Low. I also tried H1<HIGH, and even H1>HIGH, and
combinations. None work.

> So there is something which I must not understand about how LowestSince()
actually functions.

> Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Harry
>
> --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Roy Larsen" <rlarsen@xxxx> wrote:
> > Harry
> >
> > When using LowestSince() in the Explorer you must force it to scan at
least
> > the required number of bars, and preferably more. ValueWhen() and
> > BarsSince() are other function that will not return expected values when
> > used with "minimum" bars.
> >
> > And don't forget the many functions using any form of exponential
smoothing
> > require at least 5 times more data than the longest "periods" used by
the
> > offending functions.
> >
> > To access a "Periods" value for ALL exploration columns I suggest you
create
> > an indicator specifically for this purpose. You can set up any number of
> > variable values then use FmlVar() in your exploration columns to call
the
> > required value. This could be used for dates as well as numbers. Just be
> > aware that there is a performances trade-off when the number of formula
> > calls begins to climb.
> >
> > Roy

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.