[EquisMetaStock Group] Finding extrema and looping

Does anyone know how to find the value of PERIODS that maximizes or
minimizes a function that contains PERIODS? For example, finding the
value of PERIODS that minimizes Kaufman's efficiency ratio. I figure
some kind of loop routine is involved but MS doesn't allow direct
looping. Somebody once mentioned a "loop" workaround using If() and
PREV. Would you please reveal what that is? Thanks very much.
Good trading,
kut2k2

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KXUxcA/fNtFAA/uetFAA/BefplB/TM