[EquisMetaStock Group] Crashes

I've installed Version 8.01 and it didn't fix the crash problem I
have. Mine seems to center around a conflict in upper memory. When
Metastock is trying to rewrite certain data, it runs into problems
with addresses that are already filled, it gets confused and then you
get an Mwin error default. I solved part of the problem by changing
how metastock gets the number of periods needed. I use the the choose
periods options instead of dates.

I've also found that the number of crashes is dependent on which
systems are in use and how much upper memory appears to be used. A
couple of times I've been able to find the block of memory that had
the conflict; however, that's not going to help solve the problem. It
only provides clues.

It's a hard problem to fix and to even duplicate because every
version of windows uses different upper memory management methods and
each video card presents a separate set of problems.

Of course, I could be wrong and this is just a symptom of something
else. From what I've seen using 8.01 it doesn't solve all of the
crash problems. It might solve some. It used to crash on me after I
had 7 or 8 charts loaded so I had to start all over which made me
really unhappy.

I've also found that if I slow down my mouse clicks when I'm doing an
operation that requires upper memory shuffle, I have fewer crashes.
I'm down to about two crashes a day. Some people I've talked to use
7.2 because it is more stable. I don't know. I haven't used it with
my systems.

Technical support has been of little help with this one. They're okay
at answering questions when you're new to metastock and can't figure
out some of the less than intuitive ways they've approached problems,
but when you bring them real technical issues they can't give you any
real help. They want you to duplicate everything for them, and even
when you do, most of them are young and don't have much experience
with previous versions of windows or other operating systems. (Some I
think some techs don't know other operating systems exist, especially
graphical interfaces.) They're nice and always there so I can't say
anything about support. By the time someone gets to the point where
they really know what's going on, they aren't answering phone calls
anymore, and then the people who do anwer the phones filter what the
experienced people hear so it's a slow process to get change.
Metastock people are a lot better than some of the support people I
talk to. A lot of TS people can't do more than read step 1,2,3 off of
the help desk software screen. When you tell them that's not the
problem, they insist you follow the steps exactly as they've
outlined. Morons!

My basic opinion is we're along way from getting a windows operating
system and software that will be really stable. There's just too much
going on there. I'm getting ready to build a new computer, and I'm
going to try some things you don't normally find on home computers to
see if it will help with some of these problem. It won't happen until
latter in the year, but if anything works, I'll post it. Don't get
your hopes up, not much fixes windows problems--except hackers.

For what's it's worth, when I was writing code for main frames in the
seventies, I crashed them a lot more often than I do Windows NT and
2000. However, it does seem to take about the same amount of time to
recover.

Happy Hair pulling and charting

JO

http://us.click.yahoo.com/rZll0B/4ftFAA/46VHAA/BefplB/TM