[EquisMetaStock Group] How to optimize trailing stops?

would like to optimize trailing stops.  I have one system, one set of
parameters across 7,000 stocks using MS 8.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
The
built-in trailing stop methodology doesnt (appear to) lend itself to
optimizing.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Therefore, I would like to do my own in the "sell" statement.
I can pretty well imagine how to do most of the logic, but I don't know how to
tell that I'm in a trade.  Perhaps I don't care?   Perhaps I
should just go ahead and calculate the trailing stop as a sell.  If I'm in
a trade, it will exit.  If I'm not in a trade, it probably doesn't even get
calculated.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I feel
like I want to say "if in a trade, exit on my calculated trailing
stop".    Perhaps the "sell" statement has the first part of that
already built-in?    I'm too much of a procedural programmer to
see the light in MetaStock sometimes.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Any