RE: [Metastockusers] Metastock ADX vs. RealTick ADX

<SPAN
class=057005006-07112002>Gary,
<SPAN
class=057005006-07112002>
If you
plot the standard MS adx and the custom version you found you will also see a
difference. I just ran into a similar problem converting ADXR to Amibroker. I
believe you are correct in your assumption that MS is applying a smoothing of
some sort as is evidenced by the indicator starting at bar 28  (2X later,14
vs. 28). I would guess they have applied a double smoothing just to see if we
are paying attention :))

Jayson

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Gary
[mailto:gary.keeney@xxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002
12:16 AMTo: Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject:
[Metastockusers] MetaStock ADX vs. RealTick ADXI'm
looking at using the ADX to select between a Stochastic and a moving average
crossover system as appropriate for trending vs. channeling/cycling
conditions.  Can anyone shed some light on the difference between
the ADX indicator displayed in RealTick and the ADX function in
MetaStock?  When I plot them on the identical price data in the two
different software packages, the results are completely different.  The
RealTick ADX behaves as I would expect, with significant variations
between higher values (> 30 or so) for trending conditions and lower
values (< 30 or so) for channeling conditions.  The RealTick ADX
line also begins 14 days after the start of the data for a 14-period
ADX.  The MetaStock ADX is nearly a flat line, and begins 28 days after
the start of the data (for a 14-period ADX).  It looks like it's being
smoothed a second time.I've done some investigation but have not yet
done a spreadsheet to re-creat Wilder's formulas from his "New Concepts in
Technical Trading Systems".  That's my next step, but I thought someone
else may have already figured it out.So far it looks to me like it's
a difference in terminology - that the ADX in RealTick is actually Wilder's
DX, or the MetaStock DX is actually Wilder's ADX.  I also note that
MetaStock's custom formula library includes a custom indicator which
calculates ADX and ADXR without rounding, with the note that the built-in
indicator is exactly the same as Wilder's original calculations.  I
wouldn't think that the rounding difference would be large enough to account
for the difference between the two software
packages.Thanks.Gary To unsubscribe from
this group, send an email
to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use
of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A