Re: Formula for Optimal f needed (long reply)

Wow, you have done your homework, Rudolph.  Let's get Walter, Ed and the
others in on this and see if we can quantify some of these risks.  I think,
in essence, that is what you are asking -- how can these risks be
quantified.

I am reaching the boundaries of my education in statistics, but I think if
you use historical data to help identify the distribution of the entire
theoretical data set, and then use this distribution to determine risk and
position size, you will have covered (at least for practical purposes) the
risks you identified as single-trade risk and external-events risk.  The big
unknown is the size of the tails on your distribution curve, and therefore
the size of a loss out past 3, 4 and 5 standard deviations.

Because I'm not particularly theoretically-inclined, I have been using only
historical results which are a proxy for the real distribution curve.  I
realize it is not ideal, but it is the most practical for me.  Others will
be more comfortable with the increased precision of parametric methods.
Consider Walter's point, though, that as humans, we are probably going to
find a way to screw up our carefully designed system anyway :)

I think the best we mortals can hope for, is to take a shot at quantifying
the more likely risks and always protect one's position with stop orders
(and maybe personal asset protection strategies if you wish).  Ralph Vince
makes the point that if a person was only able to die from a lightning
strike, no matter how improbable or how many years it would take, they would
eventually be struck by lightning and die.  Likewise, if one trades in an
unlimited-liability instrument like futures and, to a lesser degree, stocks
for a long enough time, you *will* suffer a catastrophic loss.  The only way
to avoid this is to trade in limited liability instruments like long options
or long stocks.

Probability of ruin, in my opinion, is absolutely part of a money management
plan.  This will affect the maximum drawdown you are willing to accept, and
therefore your position size.  You can certainly optimize the larger losses
out of your system, but two problems arise from this:

1.    Your system is less robust and more likely to fail when the character
of your particular market changes over time.  I believe you are introducing
a likelihood of a large, unquantifiable loss or a string of losses.
Certainty of overall profitability is more important than minimizing any
single loss.

2.    Smaller losses due to (over-)optimization, will mean that to achieve
optimal returns, your position size will increase to the point where you are
maximizing your losses again.  You will be so highly levered that when (not
if) you suffer the large, unquantifiable loss, you are more likely to be
ruined.

I'm not advocating an unoptimized trading system, just one that is as robust
as possible and more likely to handle changes in the market.  I am also
certainly not saying that you shouldn't try to minimize your losses, but
rather to develop a system that will anticipate and quantify as many of the
possible loss scenarios as it can.

As far as establishing an acceptable probability of ruin, that is your own
call.  As it happens, I am going through this process (now that I can
quantify it !) with my wife who is very risk averse.  Whatever we decide on,
the results will certainly give me less than the Optimal f.   Whatever it
takes so you can sleep nights.

You also asked, "Does the Optimal f method ... use an *analytical* approach
for the probability histogram (instead of the original numerical values)?
And if so: What type of analytical probability distribution is used (e.g.
Weibull?), and does it deal correctly with e.g. unsymmetrical  and "tailed"
distributions?"

The Mathematics of Money Management describes several different
distributions, including asymmetrical and fat-tailed distributions and how
to use Optimal f with these.  I saw that discussion as more theorectical and
less practical to implement, but I imagine Walter or Ed could put it to
practical use in short order.

OK, I've rambled on again, but I just find this all so fascinating and such
an important component to anyone's trading or investment program.

Regards.