XL Ruggiero's April workbook

This month in Futures Magazine, Murray Ruggiero is starting a new series on
trading with a spreadsheet.

The first article's example uses corn monthly seasonals. This technique is
of interest to Metastock users because it can also be used for Days of the
Month seasonals (see attachment), Days of Week, Time of Day seasonals, etc.

This basic technique is necessary for learning the probabilities and basic
knowledge about your tradable, especially Days of the Week trading patterns
for day traders.

I used daily data and "Day1" to "Day31" columns
across the top of the attachment.

The main formula is:

=IF(DAY($A2)=COLUMN() - 8,($B3+$C3+$D3+$E3)/4,"")

Exactly the same formula goes in every cell in the row (I3 to AM3)

The only part of the formula that changes in the whole spreadsheet is the
"$A2" part ... it becomes  $A3 --> $A4 etc. as it goes down column "I"

At the bottom you enter the following formulas:

=AVERAGE
=MAX
=MIN
and the Scale formulas

Usually the MEAN is also calculated.

See the article for examples as to how it would apply to your situation.

This covers the basic seasonality calculation method. Other methods of
calculating seasonality are covered in Kaufman.

This basic Excel "data sorting into columns" technique has many other uses.

Best regards

Walter

Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\DayOfMonthSample.xls"