Re: Dow's Diamonds

  • To: "Cliff Frish" <cbfrish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Dow's Diamonds
  • From: "A.J. Maas" <anthmaas@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:02:24 -0400 (EDT)

I have been using these Diamonds for quite a while now(6-8 years) and they were sometimes
printed here in some Dutch magazines not knowing in all these years, that they were also
described by Edwards & Magee way back in the fourtees, eg they have written and (re-)
published a masterpiece on "StockTrends", Technical Analysis on StockTrends(in the Markets).

This book was written and includes plenty of charts for examples and herecomes, where the
book as well as the charts (!!!!) have not ever have to be get updated, eg eversince as "the
book today, is still current". And I for one, cannot agree more on that.

Diamonds are basicaly 2 mirrored Triangles joint together(back to back) and are also
"surrounding" the Irregular Head+Shoulder patterns(H+Ss), which are basicaly Triangles as well,
eg like Regular, Irregular, Symmetrical, Descending, Ascending, Flag, Ribbon etc.
More patterns like Broadening Tops/Bottoms, Double, Tripple and Quadripple Tops etc. are
Diamonds as well.

But realy read on up on all these type of patterns or "formations" as they were known here.
You'll be surprised at what these two "oldies" knew then, that still makes or brakes the
markets today.
Give yourself plenty of time to aquinted too, as it is a knowledge fat-rich book.

The only item that seperates me from them(E&M) in my Technical Analysis of Patterns and
Channels, eg in Charting, is Volume.
It is of great importance, but I will not ever let any of my decissions in these type of analysis
be disrupted by Volume.
Most channel & pattern charting I will do without the use of Volume, either fully forced because
the Volume figures are plain missing in my database or just because I am not putting any
emphasis on it at that time of charting/descission making.
Then later I will also look at the Volume, hope that it has rissen on a top out-break when I am
in a long position, but it is not ever going to be the most vital part in/of my decission making.

This is the only contrairy to what can be found in this marvelous excellent piece of written
down and chartered brilliance. (Tho, the Volume+OBV are always in my view-side).

Enjoy+Succes

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxx