data mining

In the JCIF (The Journal of Computational Intelligence in Finance,
formerly Neurove$t Journal), there is an interesting article about a trading
system for the OEX
constructed via a Data Mining Tool utilizing Rough Sets. The tool they used
is out of the
question (definitely professional 5-digit prices), but the JCIF reviewed
Rosetta positively.

In the JCIF there is also an article about a neural net using the usual
Stochastics indicator as input. The NN gave definitely different entry/exit
signals than the standard interpretation of Stochastics and they were
definitely more successful

Most NNs are based on statistical methods which can be used faster with
better results, the input
for the NNS has to be prepared statistically anyway, so statistics is a core
feature to consider rather than buying a NN.

++++++++++++++++

Originally, I started looking at Excel etc. because of data issues, but the
whole question of using an indicator based program, i.e., Metastock, Trade
Station, etc. as the basis for a trading system continues to arise.
Indicator based programs and workbooks, biases my "world view" of markets
and tradeables. I'm always trying to find an indicator to do the job.

Maybe there are other ways to look at markets, other "views".

Walter Downs' articles certainly seem to imply that in 5 years we will have
more computer power and a range of integrated programs on our desks.

Best regards

Walter