Re: permanent DDE links: How?

For any of the persistant MS to MS OLE problems, I can only suggest not to
use the SAVE AS as Smart Charts file type Option that is given, but to create
fresh new standard Charts and then to SAVE AS as Charts. It will then
automatically also be saved as Smart Charts(if this option is applied in the
Programs' Options), but since this is also a special Metastock feature
(the "Smart" part), I cannot oversee what influence or effects this has/will
have on programs' own "real" Smart Charts.
They (the Smart Charts) are also used as being a different file type, obviously
then more extended loaded with the smart "luxuries" features, and files get
written to with these extra luxurious "smart" contents for the compilers to
interpret.
One thing to know also is, that Smart Charts(like Templates and standard Charts)
are also already linked(as some kind of Smart layout) to the securities held in
the MS Data Files.

So, suggest to create and put the to be OLE linked Chart(standard version but
having the Programs Option "Use Smart Charts" applied), into their own working
folder, then to link these Charts to their consequtive Smart Charts(usualy have a
number "in their name", but that is here irrelevant, unlike in Excel), or to link the
Smart Charts to their consequetive Charts, and then to test these method(s).

As to the Excel to Ms question:
Note that the to be linked indicator dates will have to match the base security's
dates, at least to guarantee proper OLE link outcome results.
Suggest to Link the base security's dates to Excel first, have the Excel indicator
streamlined with these dates, and then to Link the Excel indicator to MS. This
way, tho, requires for both the files to be Opened, eg to get updated simultaniously.
Also a CSV layout(comma's in seperate columns or used in the cells properties)
being used in Excel might be preferable and keeping it down to one or two
columns as well (see further MS-Manual p. 11+13).
Otherwise in Excel Selecting, Copying and in Metastock Pasting Special
as CSV in a freshly new created Inner Window(from the WorkMenu's Window)
and later to SAVE AS as Chart, will not give major problems.
Updating will then be automatically done when you Open the Chart(or both the
Chart and Excel files should you choose to use the base security link above).

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxx