Re: "Trade The Trend" - Freebie - DD Trend Formula

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Further to David's reply you could try the
following:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Firstly, go to the indicator builder button and create and
indicator (called DDTI) using all of the expressions that were provided
earlier.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Secondly, pick a stock or index that you are familiar with and
drop a plot of the DDTI on the price plot. Set the left hand axis (if you use
the RHS for the price plot) for the DDTI and add an horizontal line at zero.
What you should see is a &quot;curve&quot; that moves between zero and 18. Look
at the curve and the price plot over time and see how well the DDTI
&quot;anticipates&quot; changes in trend in the price plot.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Thirdly, drop a moving average (say a 9 day simple) onto the
DDTI. Look at the cross over points and again see how well these
&quot;anticipate&quot; changes in the price trend. What I do at times is create
a simple difference type indicator that I can plot as a histogram (ie the
indicator minus its moving average) and this more clearly shows the crossovers
on the screen, at least for me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Fourthly, go to the system tester and set up a test that buys
and sells on the appropriate crossovers. You could perhaps optimise the find the
optimal parameters for the moving average. If you are dealing in futures make
sure that you change the &quot;margins&quot; option. Run the test, look at the
result, but more importantly look at the resultant curve to see where the buy
and sell points were. The objective of the indicator is to get you into trades
earlier and get you out as close to the last minute as possible. See Lionels
recent postings about candlesticks - early warning systems.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT><FONT color=#000000 size=2>Fifthly, how can you improve
the results? Perhaps some of the variables in the binary can be changed, perhaps
the weightings can be changed (like Jim G did recently with his binary) perhaps
the system test could have a confirming indicator built into it (say an alert
for a recent stochastic crossover). All of that is simply off the top of my head
and I am sure that others out there have a better idea or two.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Sixthly, let the rest of us know of your results.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">
    <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><B>-----Original Message-----</B><BR><B>From:
    </B>Paula &amp; Larry &lt;<A
    href="mailto:larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";>larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>To:
    </B>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    &lt;<A
    href="mailto:metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx";>metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR><B>Date:
    </B>Saturday, 19 September 1998 4:55<BR><B>Subject: </B>Re: &quot;Trade The
    Trend&quot; - Freebie - DD Trend Formula<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>&gt;
    From:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &quot;John
    Hunter&quot; &lt;<A
    href="mailto:jhunter@xxxxxxxxxx";>jhunter@xxxxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR>&gt;