From: Guy Tann <grtann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: 'Stan' indicator of market sentiment or SIMS
Date: Thursday, September 10, 1998 9:23 PM

Steve

Did check out the CKLW site.  Brings back memories.  BTW, my
sister is
coming out shortly and bring me some Coney Island sauce, if you
remember
those hot dogs.  I haven't found them anywhere else.  Told her
not to bring
any Sanders Hot Fudge as I don't share it.  I hide it in the
back of the
fridge and eat it with a spoon <ggg>.  There goes the old
waistline.

Guy

Karnish
> Sent: Monday, September 07, 1998 8:10 AM
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: 'Stan' indicator of market sentiment or SIMS
>

> Guy,
>
> Soupy's son's Hunt and Tony went to school in Livonia.  My
> mother knew them in high school and I later met them in
> Hollyweird (after they were bratty super stars).  Hunt was the
> drummer on a couple of Iggy Pop albums in the mid seventies.
In
> fact, if you listen to the sound track of those new Buick
> commercials, it's Iggy's "Lust for Life".  Tony plays the
> booming bass and Hunt  is the Neanderthal drummer.  A couple
of
> those albums were produced by David Bowie and when he started
> his Tin Machine band about 8 or 10 years ago, he teamed up
with
> the Sales Bros. I have a couple favorite stories about Hunt
(one
> involves Tijuana, a bar named Iguanas, and a mosh pit), I
don't
> think this is the proper forum.
>
> You might be too old to appreciate this (just teasing), but
you
> might want to visit: http://www.cklw.org/.  I know it's not
> WJR...but if you ever got into Dick Purtan or were listening
> any rock music in your "twenties", it's a real time machine.
>
> The search for descent priced out of the money puts is on.
Over
> the years "fair value" has always been a difficult thing to
find
> in any of the OEX series.  I'm hoping that I can snag some
value
> in some new obscure option series that hardly anyone is
playing
> (options on futures).  The lack of robust liquidity is
certainly
> a reasonable trade off if the OEX options don't offer any fair
> value.  I'll keep you informed.  In a perfect world (Stevie
> Wonder's Egocentric Idaho), the markets would exceed all my
> expectation for the next 7 or 8 trading days and with our
> society's attitude" "what have you done for me yesterday",
> everyone would be myopic enough to think that we're going back
> to new highs.  Under that scenario, puts would be cheaper and
> intrinsically, much closer to what they are worth.
>
> You seem to have a good grasp on your local market.  All my
good
> friends InSaneDiego, are real giddy about the feeding frenzy
> going on.  It reminds me of the middle 80's to '88/'89 time.
> had a friend (old roommate) who left Denver in '86.  He was a
> bond trader and his wife was Marvin Davis's CPA's.  They
bought
> a cute place adjacent to Griffith Park and paid $375k
> (reasonable at the time).  Eighteen months later they turned
> down $650K. Recently, I've advised two close friends in North
> County to cash out and rent for a couple of years.  I actually
> see 3% - 4% interest rates looming in the future. La la has
> imploded before and I believe it's going to again.  I know
it's
> a real trick bag...best of luck in how you play it.  My
> decisions are a bit easier:  Do I buy all the acerage I want
for
> $1,000/acre or do I wait til spring when the bankers force a
> bunch of sales around here and pick the land up for $700/acre?
> I think I'll wait.
>
> Panhandling in Idaho,
>
> Steve Karnish
> CCT
>
> ----------
> From: Guy Tann <grtann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: 'Stan' indicator of market sentiment or SIMS
> Date: Monday, September 07, 1998 12:33 AM
>
> Steve
>
> I can't believe you mentioned Gilda, Soupy, Tim Allan, et al.
>
> My ex-mother-in-law went to school with Soupy in West Va. and
it
> used to be
> one of our funnest moments (as Evan would say <G>) to go down
> the
> Macabees (sp?) Bldg., and celebrate New Years with Soupy.
Both
> of my older
> boys have signed pictures from him.  Heck, I went through
> college having
> lunch with Soupy <ggg>.
>
> I grew up with Gilda's older brother and just knew her as a
> skinny little
> kid.
>
> Tim Allan and family and my wife and son flew back on one of
> their many trip
> via Northworst.  Tim's daughter tried to pick up Evan (she and
> he were about
> 4 at the time) but he was playing hard to get <g>.  Tim
offered
> my wife and
> son a ride in their limo to our house, but the little guy
> wouldn't go, so
> they took a cab (all of 4 miles from LAX).
>
> You forgot one of our most famous natives.  Ivan!!  I grew up
> with Ivan.  We
> used to double date.  What really shook me up 2 weeks ago was
> call that
> one of our group died.  Out of the original group (I was the
> youngest),
> everyone is dead except Ivan and myself.
>
> Do you have any recommendations on some out of the money puts
> (OEX or S&P)?
> I'm going to start stocking up on them over the next few
weeks.
> I took both
> of my older kids totally out of equities and into Bonds.  My
> wife's 401k
> can't be moved for 5 months so I've got to protect that with
> some of these
> Out of the Money Puts.
>
> I've also told my middle son to hold of on buying that house
> he's been
> looking at ($550k).  At least wait until  Christmas time when
> the market
> dies.  The more I look at the numbers, it looks like 1999 will
> be the end of
> our bull move in housing here.  It's not as important for him
as
> he make a
> ton and his fiancée will make more than he does, so their
> housing purchase
> will be less than half their gross income this year.  I wish I
> had those
> troubles... <ggg>
>
> If I had cahones, I'd sell mine and rent for a year or two.  I
> hate to see
> the $300k equity evaporate.  Wish someone offered housing puts
> <G>.  That
> would be good insurance play.  The alternative is to mortgage
it
> to the hilt
> and use the money to short everything in sight.  Nah, she
won't
> let me do
> that either.  My problem is that we have a bunch of money due,
> hopefully by
> year end that might disappear if everything goes to the
dumper,
> and it's
> totally out of our control...  You know the old story about
> bending over and
> kissing your *** goodbye.  I'm afraid that will happen to us
> this year and
> it was a big part of retirement.
>
> Regards
>
> Guy

Detroit
> > humor (Robin Williams, Lily Tomlin, Tim Allen, Gilda Radner,
> and
> > of course Soupy), to see that I'm hanging on to my third
week
> in
> > September prediction (It was about as thinly vailed as
Madonna
> > dressed up as a nun...another fine Murder City comedian).
> >
> > Of course, you're only as good as your last prediction.
This
> is
> > for you Guy,  the only person, on the list, who lived just
off
> > of Middlebelt (I lived five houses away 29525 W. Chicago).
> You
> > must promise to keep this to yourself:  All my "super
secret"
> > calculations point to a rally to "bounce back" to at least
> 1015
> > - 1020 in the Sept. 500 and then I'm targeting 910 on the
> > downside.
> >
> > I seldom target anything.  It seems when I do, I get
> emotionally
> > attached to the outcome.  These markets are real seducers.
If
> > you get to attached to an outcome, they'll break your heart.
> >
> > I almost "fell in love" with crude oil recently.  We started
> > going out early last week.  It was love at first sight.  She
> had
> > gone through tough times and I kinda "picked her up" near
the
> > bottom of her life.  Well, things just got better everyday
and
> > thought it might last forever (you know, like a couple of
> > weeks).  Then, on Friday, she started acting funny.  She no
> > longer wanted go in the direction I wanted to go.  It was
like
> > she followed me up to a point and then she resisted.  It was
> as
> > if she would go right up to a line in the sand and then
> wouldn't
> > cross it.   Well, I told her I'd take the weekend to
> reevaluate
> > our relationship, but, after consulting a few close,
objective
> > friends, I'm dumping her on Monday.  I don't want to get
hurt
> > again.  It's the best thing for both of us.
> > Sorry about pouring my heart out in public.  Please don't
feel
> > bad for me, we had some real good times and I've been seeing
> > this girl from Canada on the side.
> >
> > Anyway, don't get caught with long positions right before
the
> > "triplewitch" ... she'll put a spell on you!  If I come
close
> > any of these predictions, I'll be writing a book this
winter:
> > "Leonardo Fibonacci: The Missing Years".   If not, I might
> > write: "The Secret Rock and Roll Life of Robert Prechter".
> >
> > Hope your weekend is going good.
> > Howling at the full moon,
> >
> > Steve Karnish
> > CCT
> >

> > ----------
> > > From: Guy Tann <grtann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > Subject: RE: 'Stan' indicator of market sentiment or SIMS
> > > Date: Sunday, September 06, 1998 4:17 PM
> > >
> > > OK Steve
> > >
> > > Now I'm confused.  What's the date????  October 5 or the
> third
> > week of
> > > September???
> > >
> > > The market held our support price, basis S&P futures of
936.
> > The upside
> > > channel resistance is 1076 (approx.).  If we get anywhere
> near
> > there, I plan
> > > on buying a bunch of Out of the Money Puts and hold on.
> > >
> > > I see a possible range for the S&P of 140 points and this
> > translates to 1260
> > > Dow points (approx.), I think.  If we do get a run up to
> > anywhere that
> > > level, it might be worth it to 'take a shot'.  This weeks
> S&P
> > support
> > > (again, I'm talking futures prices here) is 941 (approx.).
> > Any breakout
> > > below that number, even interday, could mean a target of
867
> > (approx.).
> > > That would be the equivalent of 981 Dow points down from
the
> > close Friday.
> > >
> > > These are just some of the numbers I'm reading from my
> charts.
> >  I haven't
> > > looked at calculating a 'bottom'.
> > >
> > > Guy