[amibroker] Re: A shorter syntax to reference past elements of array

Tomasz,

> I have second thoughts as well, as it truly may create lots of
>confusion.

No, don't start having doubts now ...you were correct in the first
place.

The Ref() part of the function was always redundant and overkill for
such a simple thing (it isn't even really a function is it?).

Signed integers are NOT truly intuitive but actually just
subconscious habit .... it is in our minds from our school days that
(-) means go left along the number line and (+) means go right along
the number line.

Keep to this worldwide (mathematical) convention and all will be well
e.g.

- in bar index we start at the first bar and go right 0,1,2,3 etc
- in referencing bars from today, we go left C(-5) or right C(+5) ...
except that the plus sign is also redundant.

I commend you on your attention to detail ... many small improvements
are just as important as one big one.

The only thing is you are far nicer than me ... I wouldn't poll ...
the only 'people' I would ask would be my muses, simply because their
error rate is so low (usually caused by the fact I don't listen).

Many times in the past I thought the Ref() was a waste of my typing
time and very annoying.

Last night I wrote some code, at zboard.wordpress.com, to help the
community understand Pivots (many seem to be making them
unnecessarily difficult),

It included:

P = (Ref(H,-1) + Ref(L,-1) + Ref(C,-1)) / 3;

... enough said.

Then again, maybe not.

Please give me:

P = H(-1) + L(-1) + C(-1);

Actually parenthesis or [] doesn't really matter because it is
dependent on context and it is normal for 'programmers' to be
particular with syntax (afterall it does change from lanuage to
language and we have to mentally handle that fact).... you woul be
better not to concede to soft appeals for syntax preferences because
any developer of language is soon going to run out of special
characters if ... technically speaking contextual use of [] is
efficient and an acceptable way to do it (even for me!)

People don't like change ... in the first place I only learnt Ref()
from you.

Also, the problems created by look forward oppurtunities are highly
over-rated ... it is sometimes useful to look forward (for what if
scenarios or projecting indicators into the future).

We can handle look forward issues ourselves (if not better get a real
job).

IMO you would be better off maintaining consistency of number line
signed directions everywhere e.g. LLV(array,-5) is the lookback for 5
periods and LLV(array,5) is the look forward 5 periods.

Once again it is up to us when and how to use it ... a look forward
warning in the function manual is quite adequate.

Two other small details .... just as annoying:

- search inside charts/formulas looking for the one you left there
sometime last year (what did I call it?)... once you get a lot of
them you can't keep track of them all, even with folders (syntax
exhaustion leads us to name AFL files all sorts of wierd, non-
intuitive things).

- auto completion of typing in FormulaEditor (how about macro for
custom auto complete?)... typinc the same thing over and over makes
me cranky.

Also I apologise that I don't use the feedback center ... I empathise
with you but it is too much like work for me ... I accept my informal
suggestions get lost in the noise ... at least if I make a major
suggestion I put it into a semi-formal document that you can pick up
and file (on the rare occasion that you like the idea).

Also, if I file at the feedback center only a few people see it ...
if I run a short campaign here then the forum has the chance to
consider the idea and action it privately if you don't pick it up ...
IMO that is added value to the FC.

I think it is OK to do that as long as the campaign is short and then
brought to a close (once and for all) or moved elsewhere (like the
zboard for stats for traders).g

BTW I like a lot of your recent additions to AB ... chart linking is
great .. AddSummaryRows is a step in the right direction ...
DaysSince1900 is a very important addition .. lots of other good
things (sometimes the little things leverage a lot of action).

I often forget to post and thank you for your successes.

brian_z

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <groups@xxx>
wrote:

> Re: [amibroker] A shorter syntax to reference past elements of
arrayHerman,

> You are right that it maight be confusing, therefore I was thinking
about using this short form only to reference past
> (as it is most common scenario, considering the fact that we all
the time attempt *not* to look into the future).

> The whole story is just to make common expressions like C - Ref(
C, -1 ) shorter, like this:  C - C(1)
> but I have second thoughts as well, as it truly may create lots of
confusion.

> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

id=2828485

>   > Thank you.
>

>   > Best regards,
>
>   > Tomasz Janeczko
>
>   > amibroker.com
>

>   > ------------------------------------
>

>   > **** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****
>
>   > This group is for the discussion between users only.
>
>   > This is *NOT* technical support channel.
>

>   > TO GET TECHNICAL SUPPORT send an e-mail directly to
>
>   > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>

>   > TO SUBMIT SUGGESTIONS please use FEEDBACK CENTER at
>
>   > http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/
>
>   > (submissions sent via other channels won't be considered)
>

>   > For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:

**** IMPORTANT PLEASE READ ****

http://www.amibroker.com/feedback/