Re: [amibroker] Help required on Backup and Plotting of data

Hi - Here are the file descriptions from the users guide.  What kind of errors are you getting?  Just in case you didn't know, you should *install* AB on the second computer before copying your files over. I have AB on 2 computers, both use QP for data and I can update that whenever I want, so when I want to sync up the 2nd computer with my main working computer I usually copy everything except the data folder, then I go into the data folder and copy the Watchlists, Layouts and the 3 broker.xxx files at the bottom. That works fine and actually only takes a minute or 2 to copy to a thumbdrive and about the same to load onto the 2nd computer.  I think the entire data folder would probably be the largest thing to copy but it sounds like you want to copy all the data too..

Steve

Files and directories used by AmiBroker

AmiBroker main directory - the directory where you installed AmiBroker. You can find main AmiBroker executable file (BROKER.EXE) there.

PROGRAM FILES

  • Broker.exe - main application file
  • CoolTool.dll, MiscTool.dll, Brokey.dll- additional application files required by broker.exe
  • HTMLView.exe - the report viewer, used to display backtest reports
  • emailer.exe - a small add-on command line utility that sends user-defined alerts via e-mail
  • DBCAPI.DLL - (present only if RT version is installed) - eSignal DBCAPI support library
  • Plugins - the subfolder that contains all plug-in DLLs.
  • unins000.exe and unins000.dat - uninstaller program.
  • Broker.chm - compiled HELP file

DATA FILES

  • Data - default database folder, contains broker.master, broker.workspace, 0-9, A-Z, '_' symbol data subfolders and Layouts subfolder. Read this to learn more about AmiBroker database concepts.
  • broker.master - binary data file containing the table of all symbols available in the database. Used for quick loading of symbols. The table of symbols includes information about assignments of symbols to categories (markets, groups, sectors, industries, watch lists, indices and favorites). If you delete this file AmiBroker will re-create it because this information is available also in the individual symbol data files.
  • broker.workspace - binary data file containing the information about the database settings (interval, data source used, etc), category names, global advance/decline data, etc. If you delete this file you will lost database settings and category names will be reset to defaults.
  • default.awl, *.awl - Amibroker Workspace layout files. Text files that contain the information about the layouts and chart sheets. The default.awl file stored in "Layouts" subfolder inside database folder contains default LOCAL layout for this database. The default.awl file stored in "Layouts" subfolder of AmiBroker main directory contains default GLOBAL layout (used when there is no local layout present). If you delete this file then default layout will be generated based on default.layout file that is supplied with AmiBroker.
  • broker.charts - binary file containing information about all custom indicators (including settings and formulas). If you delete this file you will loose all custom indicators.
  • broker.bcharts - binary file that contains interpretation/additional code for built-in indicators. If you delete this file you will loose all interpretation code that is included with built-in indicators
  • broker.layers - text file that contains information about chart layers. If you delete this file layers will be reset to factory defaults.
  • broker.groups, broker.markets, broker.sectors, broker.industries - text files that contain default names for groups, markets, sectors and industries. Used only at the database creation time. Later this information is stored per-database in broker.workspace file. If you delete them, AmiBroker will default to group n, market n, sector n, industry n names, where n is 1...256
  • broker.prefs - binary file that contains user preference settings (available from Tools->Preferences). If you delete this file AmiBroker will reset to factory default settings
  • broker.params - text file that contains persistent information about user-defined indicator parameters.