[amibroker] OT: Making $$ in today's Economic Crisis

  • To: <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [amibroker] OT: Making $$ in today's Economic Crisis
  • From: "Ken Close" <ken45140@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 13:32:33 -0400

I realize that this is off topic, but this list has two characteristics that make this post potentially interesting as well as relevant.

We have members from all over the world, representing participants and citizens in many, many countries.

We also have members who trade differently using different securities and different approaches.

My question is: are you making money in the current volatile economic climate and if so how?  How has the turmoil in your local economy/exchange/country influenced how you trade and what your more recent performance is?  What are you doing or do you think you will doing in the next days and weeks (as it changes so frequently, who knows what months will bring)?

I realize we seldom talk about anything but coding and user issues with the AB program, but could we have a departure for a moment, at least in this thread, to comment on how you see the near term future in your neck of the (woods) world, and what you are doing about your trading and/or investing.

I personally am heavily hedged, ie, own high percentage of inverse funds, along with one position in a top performing and so far, slower losing mutual fund (OAKBX) as well as a few stocks that are truly buy and hold.  Down about 3% year to date and would have been positive if I had unloaded other long (hedged) positions sooner.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Ken

**** IMPORTANT ****