US now and Japan in 90's, was: Re: [amibroker] Re: How did everyone do last week?

Yuki,

On a more positive note - I am sure that list members would
love to hear your opinion about the similarities (if any)
between Japan in the early nineties, and the US now.

In Bernanke famous speech (2002) that Patrick mentioned earlier in this thread
http://www.federalreserve.gov/BOARDDOCS/SPEECHES/2002/20021121/default.htm
we can find this:
"The Japanese situation is a complex one [...]
Japan's economy faces some significant barriers to growth besides deflation,
including massive financial problems in the banking and corporate sectors and a large overhang of government debt.
private-sector financial problems have muted the effects of the monetary policies that have been tried in Japan,
even as the heavy overhang of government debt has made Japanese policymakers more reluctant to use aggressive fiscal policies
[...] Fortunately, the U.S. economy does not share these problems, at least not to anything like the same degree"

Unfortunatelly the last sentence does not seem to be valid in 2008.

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com