[amibroker] Re: OT: Charting For Dummies

Hi everyone,

I'm Larry Lovrencic, one of the authors of Charting For Dummies.

The book is an Australian adaptation of Barbara Rockefeller's TA for
Dummies.

Some small sections of the original book have had a solid re-write,
while most of the book has been tweaked to suit the Australian/Asian
region.

The book is available in bookstores throughout Australia, New Zealand
and Asia. Please ask your local bookstore to order it in if it doesn't
stock it.

For those who live outside of this region, you may order the book
online from www.dymocks.com.au.

Also try www.moneybags.com.au.

I will be more than pleased to offer any further assistance.

BTW, here is one review of the book :

Book review: Charting for Dummies
Will Kraa, February 18, 2007
http://www.compareshares.com.au/kraa36.php

I have so far reviewed books that I have bought because in my opinion
they were good books to have and I bought them for my library. This
time I will review some new books that were sent to me for review.
That does not mean that I have run out of books to recommend that were
already in my library, and I will get back to them later.

The first of the books sent to me is 'Charting for Dummies' and so
those of you who do not fit this description can skip this part of the
review. When I first saw the title I sort of groaned inwardly and
thought, "Not another one of those books that tell you just a few
basic things". Anyway, I decided I should have a look at it seeing
someone was kind enough to send it to me. I was pleasantly surprised
and impressed.

The four authors who wrote this book know what they are talking about.
I was even more impressed when I discovered in the book a very healthy
dose of skepticism about Fibbonacci and similar stuff (where people
think they have stumbled across some law of the universe which governs
human behaviour and that this gives an edge to the devotees to this
sort of magic). Now I know I have immediately offended some of my
readers and I am sorry but simply can't help it so maybe you will
forgive me.

As I looked at the Appendices I was even more delighted to see that
the authors recommend AmiBroker as "by far the best value for your
dollar". Obviously these are very sensible people! They also share my
view that learning to trade well does not require attendance at
expensive seminars or purchase of costly software.

However, that is not the main reason for recommending this book. I had
planned to recommend some books on charting but this book has saved me
the trouble. In one book there is material that puts together lots of
information to give a good understanding to the beginner but also has
enough to interest those who have been trading for some time. Anyone
studying this book will get a very good grounding in using charts to
trade. It is filled with very practical and down to earth information
and even if you think you are a bit of an expert I think you will
still find some good ideas here.

It is not just a compendium of indicators but shows what they are
based on and how to use them. Charting that is not based on indicators
is also discussed including basic candlestick analysis, support and
resistance, and patterns. This book is not just theory but deals with
the practical application. In the process experienced people share
lots of what they know with the reader.

There is a section of the book that deals briefly with risk management
but there are much better treatments of this subject, such as the book
by Van Tharp that I reviewed earlier. Risk management is a subject
that is of the greatest importance and needs more than just a small
section of a book to cover it adequately. For instance the way the
famous 2% rule is explained in this book leaves much to be desired.

This is not an encyclopaedia of charting but a very practical and
useful book for anyone who wants a better understanding of the uses
and limitations of Technical Analysis. It is geared to the Australian
market and I think you will find it very useful. So long as you donâ??t
mind admitting to being a dummy.