[amibroker] auto file synchronizers (was Re: Extremely tired of this.)

Response to Paul Ho:

Though I agree with your comment about the difficulty and relative
pointlessness of "Real time multiple computer data synchronization"
for AB (ala banking software), that is not what I was talking about at
all.

OTOH, to require that the "propagation of  updates is kept
unidirectional" is EXACTLY the problem.

I am very affected by it.  I'm sure others are too.  I feel confident
in speculating that this limitation is an artifact of the history of
AB's development.  IOW, this issue simply wasn't in the forefront of
thinking at the point where decisions were made that created the
unidirectionality.  (As an aside, computers used to be much more
expensive, and people didn't often used to have 2 or more of them.)

These days, most tools do not have this limitation.  The ones that
don't have it are MUCH easier to work with and be productive with,
insofar as operating with multiple computers is concerned.

Do you ever take a laptop with you somewhere and write code or create
a workspace while you are away?  Do you ever have a hardware or
software failure that puts the "primary" machine out of commission for
a period of time?  Do you ever run large-scale optimizations that make
the "primary" machine inconvenient or impossible to use for some
period of time?  Do you ever have AB online on a "primary" machine and
want to do some coding or new workspace layout on a different machine?

If so, you now have a time-wasting, productivity destroying
synchronization problem to solve - a problem that wouldn't be there if
the software architecture did not play poorly with commonly used
multi-machine file sync techniques.

The problem is the whole notion of a "primary" machine.  IMO, there is
no good reason why one AB installation should be favored over others.
 The user should be able to work on any number of installations and
resync them easily, with standard tools.

This is a problem that does not have to exist.  It could be eliminated
at the source (with some effort and architectural adjustment to be
sure), and I think that change would be HIGHLY BENEFICIAL for the
platform and for the users of it.

(I will respond to TJ in a separate message).

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Ho" <paultsho@xxx> wrote:

> Totally disagree with that.
> I believe AB has given us small time traders an edge and I
personally dont
> want real time multiple computer data synchronation.
> because firstly it is both expensive and time consuming to
implement, and
> usually comes with performance penalty. Just look at how long and
> troublesome banking software take to implement. Secondly, I am happy
that AB
> is staying out of large Coporates radar screen. Like TJ said, the
current
> architecture is completely workable if I understand how to copy
files over
> and that propagation of  updates is kept unidirectional. It is more than
> capable to running multiple instances and on multiple machines. I do
however
> support running large scale optimization over multiple machines.
> The problems mentioned above exist because people dont follow
instructions
> or know what the instructions are. Creating complex synchronisation
regime
> will create another set of and larger problems for those who still dont
> follow instructions.
>

>   _____

On Behalf