[amibroker] auto file synchronizers (was Re: Extremely tired of this.)

i have 4 computers running ab, one of which is a laptop. file based
synchronistion is more than adequate. i make sure all the necessary
files are synced before undocking. when i get back with the changes,
i just resync again. it is no different than usind word.
unidirectional means you cant update 2 copies of the same file
separately. but it does stop you from taking your laptop to your
local coffee shop to work on AB
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "progster01" <progster@xxx> wrote:

> [...]
> AB's development.  IOW, this issue simply wasn't in the forefront
of
> thinking at the point where decisions were made that created the
> unidirectionality.  (As an aside, computers used to be much more
> expensive, and people didn't often used to have 2 or more of them.)
>
> These days, most tools do not have this limitation.  The ones that
> don't have it are MUCH easier to work with and be productive with,
> insofar as operating with multiple computers is concerned.
>
> Do you ever take a laptop with you somewhere and write code or
create
> a workspace while you are away?  Do you ever have a hardware or
> software failure that puts the "primary" machine out of commission
for
> a period of time?  Do you ever run large-scale optimizations that
make
> the "primary" machine inconvenient or impossible to use for some
> period of time?  Do you ever have AB online on a "primary" machine
and
> want to do some coding or new workspace layout on a different
machine?

> If so, you now have a time-wasting, productivity destroying
> synchronization problem to solve - a problem that wouldn't be
there if
> the software architecture did not play poorly with commonly used
> multi-machine file sync techniques.
>
> The problem is the whole notion of a "primary" machine.  IMO,
there is
> no good reason why one AB installation should be favored over
others.
>  The user should be able to work on any number of installations and
> resync them easily, with standard tools.
>
> This is a problem that does not have to exist.  It could be
eliminated
> at the source (with some effort and architectural adjustment to be
> sure), and I think that change would be HIGHLY BENEFICIAL for the
> platform and for the users of it.
>
> (I will respond to TJ in a separate message).
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Ho" <paultsho@> wrote:
> >
> > Totally disagree with that.
> > I believe AB has given us small time traders an edge and I
> personally dont
> > want real time multiple computer data synchronation.
> > because firstly it is both expensive and time consuming to
> implement, and
> > usually comes with performance penalty. Just look at how long and
> > troublesome banking software take to implement. Secondly, I am
happy
> that AB
> > is staying out of large Coporates radar screen. Like TJ said, the
> current
> > architecture is completely workable if I understand how to copy
> files over
> > and that propagation of  updates is kept unidirectional. It is
more than
> > capable to running multiple instances and on multiple machines.
I do
> however
> > support running large scale optimization over multiple machines.
> > The problems mentioned above exist because people dont follow
> instructions
> > or know what the instructions are. Creating complex
synchronisation