[amibroker] Re: Setting up that Database!

Hi Ted,

That is one impressive list of questions that you have there! I do
appreciate the fact that you seem to have really thought out much of
your technical trading needs. I'll give a shot at answering a few of
your questions to see if I can help things along a little. I see a
number of people have already answered most of them, but I'll add in
my two cents worth too.

Data Structure Approach: The historical data for the stocks is
actually the easy part. AmiQuote will take care of all the downloading
and updating for you without any problems. May take several hours for
the initial fill for decades of data, but it will do it.

The template out there is fairly accurate, however, Yahoo and the
company (Hemscott) that they purchase data from change symbols on a
semi-frequent, unstructured time table (from what I can tell) and is
the reason that I update the template about once a month. If they
would just publish what was changed, things would be much easier. I
may end up writing a utility to merge new symbols, change symbols and
delete old data, however, I haven't found the time to do that yet.
Some of the data has been provided by Dick Hoierman, who has been kind
enough to provide me with a number of symbols such as ETFs and such to
add into the template.

You made mention of wishing that AB would associate stocks with
various groups. I guess I don't quite understand what groups those
are. They already group according to exchange, sectors and groups.
What other groupings would you care for? If you already have these in
a csv or database type file, I could probably add those in for you, or
could point you in the right direction for code if you would prefer.

DB Maintenance: Good questions here.

1) Many brokers and data vendors use different symbols, just a fact of
life. Personally I use eSignal, ETrade, Interactive Brokers,
Tradestation and Yahoo. The indices are usually different and the
futures are too. The stocks themselves usually stay the same although
many times Yahoo will add a "." suffix to it for their purposes. I
don't have a suggestion or fix, just one of the things I wanted to
point out.

2) I use Yahoo for EOD all the time but it is for back testing and dev
work only, I do not use it for production. If I am going to do a swing
or extended order, then I take a look at the other data feeds prior to
submitting that order. No company is perfect when it comes to how
clean the data is, eSignal and TS included. They all advertise how
good there data is, and I guess it boils down to how much you want to
trust one data vendor with your hard earned money for a trade... I'm
not advocating checking a number of vendors prior to each trade, but
if a data point is suspicious then it should be rechecked. EOD is easy
to do, but intraday trading? In a fast market though, this may be
impossible.

3) Nope, you can download all you want from Yahoo. The 200 symbol
limit will only effect how many symbols are done simultaneously. I
usually keep between 10 and 15 years of data on all the stocks and the
initial load takes a while, but the daily updates run very fast.

I do think that you made a good choice with AB. I have had several
programs over the years, and have found the help from the AB staff
(Tomasz & Company) and the other folks here on the forum as being
extremely helpful. I wish I could say that of the other software (and
brokers or vendors) that I use now. One of the things you really can't
put a price on.

Wish you the best of luck (and skill) with your trading.

Jim