[amibroker] Re: Scan for Bulkowski's chart patterns

There is a wider audience for these posts than just the people who
actively contribute.

My purpose was not to encourage a discussion on the subject, as it's not
completely appropriate for this forum.  My intent was to help guide and
warn traders that aren't rocket scientists with a solid grounding in
statistics (virtually all of them).

I'll post two quotes from a guy much smarter than me on the subject, and
end my participation on this topic.

S.

"Research that starts with concepts is much more likely to avoid
curve-fitting than blind number-crunching."

"The philosophy of science teaches that all observation is theory-laden;
there is simply no way to analyze data in a theoretically neutral
manner.  In fitting to historical data, theoretically unsound procedures
can lead to radically invalid conclusions.  This is probably why
back-testing has developed such a bad reputation."

Richard Eckhardt

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "wavemechanic" <fimdot@xxx> wrote:

> "Theorize, and then test the theory for validity."
>
> If you want to play in the trading world's "scientific method
sandbox," propose a falsifiable hypothesis and let all chew on it.

> Bill

During
> > this same time frame, we now have the computers and programming to
> > really back-test and prove a trading theory might have worked in the
> > past. We can go buy a book, program it, and discover it doesn't
produce
> > a reward/risk worth trying at all. Now in the old days, the
Grandmaster
> > would say "I only think one move ahead, but it is always the best
move."
> > We found a way to mostly brute force find the same move, but when we
try
> > to program one of the successful traders systems, the back-test does
not
> > pan out. I suggest it is not due to limitations of our equipment,
but
> > simply a system that is no good as it is explained.
> >>
> >> Although it might be theoretically possible to combine two losing
> > systems with a magic ranking process that could produce an overall
> > winner, I feel safe in saying no one can come up with an example
they
> > would share.
> >>
> >> Monty

individually,but
> > when combined produce above average returns...
> >>
> >>   I am over in Elite trader observing a candlestick debate,and
trying
> > to understand how "savvy" traders who fully acknowledge that
> > candlepatterns fail miserably in backtests insist that they are a
great
> > confirming indicator..
> >>
> >>   Is there a method to this madness??
> >>
> >>   Allan

AFL.
> >>   > > >
> >>   > > > Regards,
> >>   > > > Jim
> >>   > > >
> >>   > > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe Landry" wrote:
> >>   > > > >
> >>   > > > > Allan
> >>   > > > > I had to think back a bit. Well I'm schiz'ed, a
> >>   > > > fundamentalist
> >>   > > > and a technician. Making money on fundamentals right
> >>   > > > now(Validea)
> >>   > > > but I know what
> >>   > > > > will preserve it is technical analysis.(or risk
management?)
> >>   > > > >
> >>   > > > > What might be an interesting side note, we had Nelson
> > Freeburg
> >>   > > > of
> >>   > > > Formula Research give a talk to us last Sat. and
> >>   > > > > he related as to how his first investment book while he
> >>   > was at
> >>   > > > Columbia was Martin Pring's early TA book. This led to his
> >>   > > > development of a first "system" called Primas (Pring Moving
> >>   > > > Average
> >>   > > > System). I've got a cam video of his talk on our server,
let
> >>   > > > me
> >>   > > > know if you'd like to down load it.
> >>   > > > >
> >>   > > > > Best regards
> >>   > > > > JOE
Started