Re: [amibroker] 64 Bit

Hello,

> The fact that many/most programs have to be run in 32-bit mode doesn't
> sound like a good reason to switch to a 64-bit OS.

That's true that not many programs are available in 64 bit but...
belive it or not for some people AmiBroker is the main application they use,
and 25% speed increase for them may be reason good enough.

> Even if it's completely different inside (obviously)
> If I would switch to 64-bit OS/hardware I would like to have software
> that runs in 64-bit mode.
> But right now I can't even find MS Office in 64-bit

Yes, but the only reason to buy 64 bit soft/hardware is that you
a) need more addressable memory (even 32bit applications benefit
from using 64 bit windows as they can address upto 4GB RAM compared to
2GB offered by 32 bit windows)
b) need more speed

You don't need speed for MS Office. But you may need more speed
for running optimizations for example.

> As for mainstream public. I probably visit the wrong computer stores
> but never saw a 64-bit OS on the shelves. Even XP Pro is not so
> common.

There is usual "resistance" for so significant move like 32bit -> 64bit.
It was the same when Windows 95 arrived (which was targeted for MAINSTREAM)
- stores were still selling Windows 3.1 and lots of people (including "experts")
were arguing that they will stay with 3.1 (16 bit) because there
is "no drivers", "no 32 bit software" and so on.

Still it did not change the fact that Windows 95 was targeted for mainstream
but it just took time for public to adopt it.

The same thing happens now with x64.

> Just out of curiosity did you ever benchmark/compare Amibroker on:
> - win 2000     with 32-bit Amibroker.
> - win XP Pro   with 32-bit Amibroker.
> - win XP 64-bit with 64-bit Amibroker.

Yes I had. If you look at the http://www.amibroker.com/x64/ and
http://www.amibroker.com/docs/Houston2.pdf

you will see that I have reported average 25% speed increase in execution of
every AFL formula with 64 bit version of AmiBroker running on Win XP Pro x64
compared to 32 bit version of AmiBroker running on Win XP Pro (32bit) of on exactly the same
hardware (Athlon64 x2 3800, ASUS A8N mainboard nForce4 chipset, 1GB RAM dual channel)

> I'm especially interested in w2k vs 64-bit
AmiBroker under Windows 2K executes exactly the same as under Windows XP 32bit
(AFL computation speed does not depend on operating system, because it does NOT call
operating system at all during AFL execution).

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com