RE: [amibroker] Off-Topic: AMD vs Intel CPU Speed Comparison

Curious if you used a Hyperthread P4 on how it would compare in that test

Mark

From: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of b
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 12:37 PM
To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [amibroker] Off-Topic: AMD vs Intel CPU Speed Comparison

Due to recent purchases at work (where Intel reigns) and at
home (where AMD has a fighting chance), I had the
opportunity to do a side by side comparisons of how fast
each is for doing long optimization runs in Amibroker.

For a baseline, I used my four year old "workhorse"
computer with an Athlon CPU.

As best as I can tell all three computers are about the
same except for the CPU and RAM. All are running Windows XP
with SP2. All three use 7,200 hard drives.

They differ in ram size: my workhouse has 1.5 GB of DDR
running at 266 MHz; the new Athlon 64 has 1 GB of 400 MHz
DDR in a dual channel set up; and the P4 at work has just
512 MB of DDR.  To make sure the size of RAM is not an
issue, I made a special test database with just 30 stocks
in it. That way all the stock data would fit into RAM
cache.

My test AFL code contained items usually found in the type
of code I use. In particular:

3 - IIF statements
1 - Foreign call (I use an index for timing)
20 - EMA formulas (a bit more than my typical code)
10 - AND calls
3 - comparisons "<" or ">".
15 - Portfolio size
1 - Positionscore
plus a few "SETOPTION" statements
0 - ApplyStops

For those still reading, here are the times in minutes for
a 4,000 cycle optimization run.

Athlon.......(1.4 GHz)....65 minutes..... 1.00x
Pentium 4....(2.93 GHz)...35 minutes..... 1.86x
Athlon 64....(2.0 GHz)....28 minutes..... 2.32x

Notes:

- The final column gives a score to each with the Athlon
1.4 GHz being the baseline of 1.0x

- To make sure hard drive speed was not a factor, the
optimization was started and stopped after a couple of
cycles. That gets all the stock data into RAM cache so hard
drive speed no longer matters. Then the optimization was
restarted and the time remaining was recorded after 100
cycles were completed.

Observations:

For my type of AFL code, the Athlon 64 is about 25% faster
than the P4.

AMD continues to give the most bang for buck.  Both the new
P4 and new AMD computers were within a few dollars of each
other with virtually identical features except for the CPU.

Moore's law (processing power doubles very 18 to 24 months)
appears to no longer be working. If it were, the Athlon 64
would be 4 to 5 times faster than my four year old Althon.
However, maybe Moore's law still is working: the new Athlon
64 computer cost about half what my four year old one did:
Twice the speed for half the cost is the equivalent of two
doubles in four years.

AMD's model numbering appears to understate its power. The
Athlon 64 (2.0 GHz) has a model number of 3200+ which is
supposed to indicate it is approximately equal to a Pentium
4 running at 3.2 GHz. However, since the Athlon 64 is 25%
faster than the 2.93 GHz Pentium, the AMD model number
could have been 3660 (at least when running my type of AFL
code).

Conclusions:

- AMD is still the best deal for for number crunching work
(like AFL code).

- AMD is not as far ahead as expected in number
crunching(I was expecting more like 33% or 40% faster
instead of "just" 25%).

- If someone were planning to use a computer for a lot of
multi-media and video work (as well as running Amibroker),
they might consider Intel. Giving up 25% on AFL code might
be a reasonable trade off to get 25% faster video
rendering. Tests by Tom's Hardware seem to give about a 25%
edge to Intel CPUs over AMD: in a test using DviX5.2 to
encode MPEG video, a P4 at 2.4GHz was about equal to an
Athlon 64 "3000" at 2.0GHz.  But the speed for price ratio
for multimedia still might put AMD on top.

- AMD is still my favorite.