Re: [amibroker] OT how to set up real time alert?

Hi ronbo,

Thursday, September 23, 2004, 12:33:17 AM, you wrote:

r> d---i was really trying to offer a suggestion on how to get the
r> nuubs educated quicker while not bothering the old timers...

I'm an old timer (but far from an expert).  ^_^  It's no bother. List
volume goes up and down.  Recently, it's well off its peaks from a
year or two ago.

r> it is clear that nuubs feel they can buy the software from TJ and have
r> support immediately from this forum. you are correct---they need to read the
r> manual.

I don't think that's clear at all.  I think that is an assumption
often made by people to whom this comes rather easily.  I do not
think such a broad generality is true at all.

r> if you have no programming experience, the manual is very unclear.
r> TJ should exclude nuubs from posting for the first month---just be
r> allowed to read the forum.  by then they will be forced to rfm.

Think about what you have just said: 1) The manual is unclear, 2)
They will be forced to read the manual.  Does "cognitive dissonance"
ring a bell with you?  ^^_^^

r> TJ should also make clear on his web site that programming in AFL
r> requires lots of homework, and that it won't be easy, and if you
r> know nothing about programming, then perhaps AB is not for you.

I doubt if that is the way TJ feels about it.

Furthermore, this type of thinking -- the ability to first imagine an
algorithm that will solve a problem, then the ability to translate
that into programming code -- can be very difficult to learn for some
people. It's not that it *cannot* be learned, but the curve is
steeper for some and the rates of ascent very greatly.  What we have
always had on this list, however, is a very generous spirit.  I want
to keep that. (Okay, I'm selfish; it helps me greatly.)  ^^_^^

Many thanks to all who helped on the "need any 3 of 4 conditions to
be true".  It's a holiday in Japan today and I'm going up in
elevation to see fall color that won't arrive in Tokyo for another
couple of months.  I will attack this code later tonight or on the
weekend.

Best,

Yuki