[amibroker] TimeFrame-Daily vs Settings-Daily

I agree with others saying comparing languages isn't a good idea.
I've always found the best way to learn a new language is to have a
problem to solve and just jump in. The keyword here, of course,
is "new", and I don't have any good advice for learning the "first"
one (a class on C at the local community college ??). (My first
language was also Fortran a fair number of years ago).

Like others, I think the User's Guide has a ton of good stuff in it.
It's pretty overwhelmingly long at over 500 pages long but since
Amibroker is such a complex product (albeit sophisticated in it's
simplicity once you start to get the hang of it), I'm sure Tomasz
wrestled a lot with how much detail to include. In addition to
explaining the product, he has to explain a language, and
backtesting, and data feeds, and even Technical Analysis!

My first suggestion would be for Tomasz to publish the Users Guide!!!
Although I've printed sections, frankly I've never printed the entire
thing because of its size. Also, even when I print portions, I only
do them in black and white since I don't have a good color printer.
Although color wouldn't be a requirement, it does help in charts and
in emphasis.

In my opinion, it's not something you want to sit down and read cover
to cover but want as a reference. As such, I'd love to have it by my
side in a nice hardback edition.

Short of that, if Tomasz would take his .pdf file to his local Kinkos
and have them print and copy it in color and put it in some kind of
binder, I'd happily pay money for it. (And I'd let him decide how
much ;-} ).

An extension of the above idea would be to include some of the better
written and popular examples from the AFL library as appendicies.

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

(I, too, never get array versus variable usage right the first time).

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Dominick <Dom2000@xxxx> wrote:
> Dave:
>
> You write a manual for dummies like me with plenty of examples and
> explanations and I'll buy it.
>
> Dom
>
> Dave Merrill wrote:
> > I agree with Dimitris on this, especially re recommending intro
books for
> > other languages. Understanding how AFL differs from C++ would
help you get
> > started in AB, *if* you're already fluent in C++. Learning AFL by
learning
> > another language, and those differences at the same time, seems
like a
> > difficult and round-about way to go.
> >
> > IMO, the AFL User's Guide contains a ton of really really useful
info, and
> > one major thing an intro guide needs to do is encourage people to
actually
> > read it (:-).
> >
> > I don't mean this as a criticism of the Guide, but I do think
it'd be
> > helpful if there was a "new user's road map", an order of
suggested topics
> > to read first. If you start at the beginning and follow the major
links
> > suggested in the text, you end up reading about splitting stocks
before you
> > look at the chart of an existing one, and about referencing hand-
drawn
> > studies in your AFL before you've drawn anything, seen an
indicator in
> > action, or seen any AFL at all. If there's a step by step, hands-
on,
> > walk-through, I can't put my hands on it.
> >
> > I'd be willing to take a crack at that when I can, which isn't
right away.
> > Do others think this is a useful idea? Anybody else want to take
a run at
> > it?
> >
> > Dave
> >

> >  > The best way, IMO, is to see AFL as is. I don't find helpful
the
> >  > comparison to other languages, the "similar to..." and/or "not
> >  > exactly similar to..." would cause troubles.
> >       [snip]
> >  > Dimitris Tsokakis
> >

> > Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
> > Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12csua2va/M=291630.4786521.5933964.1261774/D=
egroupweb/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1081172427/A=2072415/R=0/SIG=11thh7ako/*
http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178432&partid=4786521>

subject=Unsubscribe>

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511