[amibroker] Re: Metastock vs Amibroker

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [amibroker] Workarounds for 3 potential problems with CSI data (was Where do we stand with the CSI data?)
  • From: b <b519b@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:18:57 -0800

Gary,

My workaround soluntions to the two problems you state may
or may not work for you. These workarounds also eliminate
an additional potetntial problem, namely duplicate tickers
for the same stock.

First, as I think you know, I store CSI data in 2 AB
databases - one for "trading" and one for "research".

The trading database has about 300 bars of data. As you
point out as each day goes by the first bars (those more
than 300 bars ago) have the potential to get out of sync
whenever there is a split or dividend adjustment. That is
because when UA detects a split or dividend adjustment, it
will resend the number of bars specified in the preferences
for distribution #3 (300 days in my case). One solution
would be for me to increment that number for each download,
but I am too lazy to do that. I am willing to live with the
first bars of my trading database being out of sync with
newly adjusted data for some ticker - because I do not use
the earliest bars for any trading decision. In fact, I only
use the most recent 50 bars of data out of the 300 bars
that I have UA update in my trading database. I realize
that my EMA formulas could be off a tiny bit if bars 301
plus are not adjusted for a split, but my (untested)
assumption is that the difference would be so small as to
be insignificant for formulas like EMA(Close,50).

If I were using the most recent 100 bars for trading, I
would probably increase the number of export bars from
CSI/UA to 600. Again, I should emphasize that these numbers
have not been tested to prove there is no distortion. If
someone has such test numbers I would be interested.

As for my "research" database, there is no danger of
updates causing earlier bars to be out of sync with those
that CSI/UA updates. The reason is I never update my
research database.

When I want more data, I create a new, blank database in AB
and have CSI/UA fill it. That eliminates the danger than
the earliest bars may be out of sync. That also eliminates
the possbility of duplicate tickers for the same stock.
Duplicates could arise whenever a stock's ticker changes as
it may happen during during bankruptcy reorganization.