Re: [amibroker] OT -- Hard Drive Backup

Hi Ken,

KC> Dominick:  I NEVER backup to CDs or would consider DVD-RW as
KC> Tomasz just mentioned.  I backup to another HD and either the
KC> replaceable or the USB2 ones that people have mentioned is the
KC> only way to go.  I think Yuki just mentioned that the rescue disk
KC> for TrueImage "sees" the image and boots from it.  This is
KC> something I do not think you can accomplish directly from CDs.

KC> Get another HD to backup to.

I agree wholeheartedly with that advice.  CDs are too small, and too
slow.  You need to waste a CD-R to get a good burn rate anyway.
CD-RWs are too slow, IMO.  And size is just going to get bigger, not
smaller.  DVDs, etc., are always going to be playing catch up to hard
drives.  And drives are cheap.

About "seeing" the image -- you would need a computer capable of
booting from an external USB drive, not all are.  But Drive Image
cannot even recognize an external USB from its recovery program.  It
can *write* to one from within Windows, but it *cannot* write to one
from within DOS, nor read one from DOS.

This means two things:

1) The system partition has to be written to free space inside the
system, then copied over to USB.  Time consuming.

2) To recover you need to have some kind of Windows shell on the
system, then copy your image BACK to the internal drive from the USB,
then restore using DI's recovery program.  Why, when TI does this
without the hassle?

Ghost?  Don't even talk to me about it.  <lol>  It's an old program
that old timers are going to swear by of course.  But it's just that:
old.  Slow.  Restricted.

Yuki

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511