Re: [amibroker] 1.65 gigs OK for awhile?

Hi Ron,

Tuesday, December 16, 2003, 12:51:33 AM, you wrote:

RM> A couple of other things regarding this thread.  The external USB
RM> drives are significantly faster than any CDR, I can copy a 180mb
RM> file in just a matter of minutes without any problems.  I have
RM> used CDR's in the past for data backup and have had problems
RM> reading the data afterwards (not immediately but several
RM> weeks-months later and not on all CD's), try reading an archived
RM> CD to make sure that they are still readable.  IF you are going
RM> to install a second or even third hard drive into your case you
RM> had better make sure that there is plenty of air flow to the
RM> inside of the case as the newer faster drives do tend to heat
RM> up.  Bottom line, decide on some type of a backup and use it
RM> religiously as it's only a matter of time before you have to
RM> restore your data.

You said it right there.  I lost all my data in December of 1998
because I was very 'unreligious' about backing up.  I was so
'unreligious' that I didn't do it at all.  The experience was so
traumatic that I immediately bought a scsi DAT drive, and made myself
as knowledgeable as I could on the subject. The main thing is to do
it. Period. Because eventually you will need it.  ^_^

Michael said:

RM> What if, You accidentaly erase some important file in your
RM>   system.
RM> And I mean realy erase - Empty trash - And have done alot of disk
RM>   writing
RM> since.

It's a lot of probabilities ^_^ (because if it was that important I'd
probably realize it right away instead of after a lot of disk
writing) but sure.

RM> You think - Oh no worries - And plug your USB drive
RM>   in.
RM> Ah there's the file - Hmm, But the directories have some wierd glyphics
RM>   in

Yes.  That's why I think it's essential to use a backup program that
verifies that the data sets match.  This is one of the reasons I
really like XXCOPY.  The 'clone' function guarantees a perfect match
between original and copy.  And it's so fast compared to tape or CD
verifications.  Obvious danger I guess is that something gets
corrupted on the original drive and then gets copied perfectly.

Nothing is absolutely perfect, though.  ^_^  Even with XXCOPY, you
could get into this type of situation: You erase a file you really
want to keep, don't notice it at first, and then run the 'clone' to
your backup, which in the process of cloning your files deletes the
same file from your backup set (which was there because of an earlier
backup).  For this reason (and what I mentioned above) I run two
different daily routines alternately, each with different target
folders on the backup drive. The entire backup drive does not get
cloned, only the target folders, each one on an alternate day.  So I
have one day to notice if there is a serious problem.  Never had one
yet though.  I operate in "don't move to recycle bin but just delete"
mode, so I am pretty careful.  Immediate mistakes are no problem of
course, since there are no intervening writes to disk.  But I can't
remember the last time I needed to use a recovery utility.

Like you, I rarely power down my internal drives.  Off and on cycles
are a lot of work for the drives, I'm told. But with the USB I only
run the drive about 10 minutes a day total (more than I need to, but
I try to let it get to full operating temperature before I start to
use it), so while the On/Off cycles are there, the number of
revolutions over time (bearing wear) is pretty small. I'm pretty sure
there is some kind of trade off.

You also came pretty close with graphic design, but it's actually
digital photography and video.  The video (my newest hobby) takes
space that I never could have imagined I'd need before.  I think soon
I have to start thinking in terabytes. ^_^ Even the photography eats
up gigabytes like they were kilobytes over time.  I like to save my
shots in very high resolution lossless format on the camera, which
means I end up with very large files.

But we digress.  ^_-

Yuki

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511