[amibroker] Backing Up Data

Group,

Speaking of backing up data, can someone describe their way? I have
data in both ascii and metastock both going back for quite a while. I
plan to burn it to cd's. Do you do it seperately in years or by
market. What about compressing the data. Anything else to keep in
mind?

I changed the title for future reference.

Thanks,

John
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Michael.S.G." <OzFalcon@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hello Ron,
> This sounds like a resonable plan, Except the backing up to
external USB drive.
> To put it simply - Hard Drives are still fragile things, And having
one
> Eternal to your
> computer is ok as a Transit device, But not a backup device.
>          External HD is not safe for Backup's!
>
> You would be worth popping in a CD-Burner (Cheap now) if you havn't
already got
> one, And Backing up to CD. Even more so now that CD-R is so darn
inexpensive.

> Tape backup is generaly too expensive AND IMHO not particualy
reliable.
>   I have had Data backed up on DAT, only to loose it when I tried
> restore - And
> the Dat drive ate my tape :-(
>
> Currently, I Backup to a fileserver running RAID array. So if one
of the
> HD's crash & Burn - I Just pull it out & Pop a new one in - The
data is
> rebuild on the
> new drive. There is a cost of course - You need x4 HD's to make the
RAID
> and you loose the space of 1 drive. ie 480gb ends up 360gb.
>
> Anyway - I would not recommend using an External drive as a backup
system.
> By the sounds of your setup - You would be better burning to CD.
>
> Also, Definatly leave that 1.6 gig free on your C: drive. As Graham
said,
> temp files and the like need space to work in, Also - You never
know what
> you might copy to
> the desktop..........
>
> KR
>          Michael.
>

> At 04:27 PM 15/12/2003, you wrote:
> >Thanks for all of the great feedback.  This 20 gig was installed
by my
> >son, and the computer does recognize that it is there, but he is
> >unavailable to me right now. I also just bought an unusual SIIG
PCI 133
> >card that has these external receptacles>2 )USB2.0 receptacles
and    1)
> >firewire and     1)10/100 Ethernet Port, and inside it has   1)
USB2.0
> >and  1) firewire.  I installed it myself, but the installation did
not go
> >exactly as the instructions said that it should. I then  followed
the
> >instructions to  see if the installation was successful. There
were a few
> >differences in the items that got installed in my computer when
compared
> >to what it said should be there. I plugged the Ethernet port in
and it
> >works fine.  I immediately emailed support about the differences
on
> >Saturday, the day that I installed the card.  Because of problems
in the
> >past, I have decided to wait for SIIG's advice.  I also bought a
Western
> >Digital USB2.0 external HD that I will install as soon as I hear
from SIIG
> >about the differences in what was installed. I was wanting to use
this
> >external USB drive for backup, and use the 20 gig inside the
computer for
> >only data, and then devote the 9.3 gig internal drive to programs
and the
> >XP Pro operating system.
> >
> >My past Outlook Express bad inbox problem was solved by changing
the name
> >of it to inboxbad.dbx .
> >
> >The spell-check in my notebook is dull, and does not work, will it
also
> >create a new spell-check if I find the file, and rename to
> >spellcheckbad.dbx?  I haven't yet looked for it, so I just made-up
a name
> >for it.
> >
> >Thanks again for helping me into the 20th century.  At least I can
now see
> >the door of the 21st century.  Later Ron D

=egroupweb/S=1705632198:HM/EXP=1071552472/A=1853618/R=0/*http://www.ne
tflix.com/Default?mqso=60178338&partid=4116730>

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511