  >From:
  John
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 6:53
  AM
  Subject: [amibroker] Backing Up
Data
  Group,Speaking of backing up data, can someone
  describe their way? I have data in both ascii and metastock both going
  back for quite a while. I plan to burn it to cd's. Do you do it seperately
  in years or by market. What about compressing the data. Anything else to
  keep in mind?I changed the title for future reference.
  Thanks,John--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Michael.S.G." <OzFalcon@xxxx> wrote:> Hello Ron,>
  This sounds like a resonable plan, Except the backing up to external USB
  drive.> To put it simply - Hard Drives are still fragile things, And
  having one > Eternal to your> computer is ok as a Transit
  device, But not a backup
  device.>          External
  HD is not safe for Backup's!> > You would be worth popping in a
  CD-Burner (Cheap now) if you havn't already got> one, And Backing
  up to CD. Even more so now that CD-R is so darn inexpensive.>
  > Tape backup is generaly too expensive AND IMHO not particualy
  reliable.>   I have had Data backed up on DAT, only to
  loose it when I tried to > restore - And> the Dat drive ate
  my tape :-(> > Currently, I Backup to a fileserver running RAID
  array. So if one of the > HD's crash & Burn - I Just pull it
  out & Pop a new one in - The data is > rebuild on the>
  new drive. There is a cost of course - You need x4 HD's to make the
  RAID> and you loose the space of 1 drive. ie 480gb ends up
  360gb.> > Anyway - I would not recommend using an External drive
  as a backup system.> By the sounds of your setup - You would be
  better burning to CD.> > Also, Definatly leave that 1.6 gig free
  on your C: drive. As Graham said, > temp files and the like need
  space to work in, Also - You never know what > you might copy
  to> the desktop..........> >

  Michael.> > > > > > > At
  04:27 PM 15/12/2003, you wrote:> >Thanks for all of the great
  feedback.  This 20 gig was installed by my > >son, and the
  computer does recognize that it is there, but he is > >unavailable
  to me right now. I also just bought an unusual SIIG PCI 133 >
  >card that has these external receptacles>2 )USB2.0 receptacles
  and    1) > >firewire and
  1)10/100 Ethernet Port, and inside it has   1) USB2.0 >
  >and  1) firewire.  I installed it myself, but the installation
  did not go > >exactly as the instructions said that it should. I
  then  followed the > >instructions to  see if the
  installation was successful. There were a few > >differences in
  the items that got installed in my computer when compared > >to
  what it said should be there. I plugged the Ethernet port in and it
  > >works fine.  I immediately emailed support about the
  differences on > >Saturday, the day that I installed the
  card.  Because of problems in the > >past, I have decided
  to wait for SIIG's advice.  I also bought a Western >
  >Digital USB2.0 external HD that I will install as soon as I hear from
  SIIG > >about the differences in what was installed. I was wanting
  to use this > >external USB drive for backup, and use the 20 gig
  inside the computer for > >only data, and then devote the 9.3
  gig internal drive to programs and the > >XP Pro operating
  system.> >> >My past Outlook Express bad inbox problem was
  solved by changing the name > >of it to inboxbad.dbx .>
  >> >The spell-check in my notebook is dull, and does not work,
  will it also > >create a new spell-check if I find the file, and
  rename to > >spellcheckbad.dbx?  I haven't yet looked for it,
  so I just made-up a name > >for it.> >>
  >Thanks again for helping me into the 20th century.  At least I can
  now see > >the door of the 21st century.  Later Ron
  Original Message -----> >From: