Re: [amibroker] 1.65 gigs OK for awhile?

  • To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [amibroker] 1.65 gigs OK for awhile?
  • From: "Michael.S.G." <OzFalcon@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:43:33 -0800

Hello Ron,
This sounds like a resonable plan, Except the backing up to external USB
drive.
To put it simply - Hard Drives are still fragile things, And having one
Eternal to your
computer is ok as a Transit device, But not a backup device.
        External
HD is not safe for Backup's!
You would be worth popping in a CD-Burner (Cheap now) if you havn't
already got
one, And Backing up to CD. Even more so now that CD-R is so darn
inexpensive.
Tape backup is generaly too expensive AND IMHO not particualy
reliable.
 I have had Data backed up on DAT, only to loose it when I tried to
restore - And
the Dat drive ate my tape :-(
Currently, I Backup to a fileserver running RAID array. So if one of the
HD's crash & Burn - I Just pull it out & Pop a new one in - The
data is rebuild on the
new drive. There is a cost of course - You need x4 HD's to make the
RAID
and you loose the space of 1 drive. ie 480gb ends up 360gb.
Anyway - I would not recommend using an External drive as a backup
system.
By the sounds of your setup - You would be better burning to
CD.
Also, Definatly leave that 1.6 gig free on your C: drive. As Graham said,
temp files and the like need space to work in, Also - You never know what
you might copy to
the desktop..........
KR
        Michael.