RE: [amibroker] Re: Using Portfolio Backtester To Track Performance - Need Pyramiding

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2><A
href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker-beta/
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>herman

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: giggollo99
  [mailto:giggollo@xxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: November 21, 2003 4:22
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Using Portfolio Backtester To Track Performance - Need
  PyramidingYes Gary, or more accurately, "Tomasz, you
  give us a mile we ask for 100 miles"!, i just thought it would be
  bordering on blasphemous to compare Amibroker (or the Portfolio Backtester
  for that matter) to an "inch" but I am sure it was a Freudian slip :)
  What is the "amibroker-beta list"? Is there a secret beta list which
  I am not a part of :0) If someone has the message number of the thread
  Tomasz is referring to please let me know.Thanks and best
  regardsg--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko"
  <amibroker@xxxx> wrote:> Gary,> > See the
  previous discussion on this on amibroker-beta list.> > Best
  regards,> Tomasz Janeczko> amibroker.com>
  ----- Original Message ----- >   From: Gary A. Serkhoshian
  >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >   Sent:
  Friday, November 21, 2003 12:52 AM>   Subject: Re:
  [amibroker] Using Portfolio Backtester To Track Performance - Need
  Pyramiding> > >   G,>
  >   Who follows their system 100%?  This is
  functionality that everybody needs.> >   Even if
  you follow your system 100% you need to compare actual fills to what
  AmiBroker was filled to ensure you've accounted for slippage
  properly.> >   All of this can be tracked offline in
  Excel, Access, etc., but it would be sweet to have the functionality built
  into AB.> >   You see Tomasz, you give us an inch, and
  we ask for a mile : )> >
  Regards,>   Gary> > >
  giggollo99 <giggollo@xxxx> wrote:>     One
  interesting way I have started using the new Portfolio
  >     Backtester is to track my own live trading
  performance. Here's how:> >     1.
  Extract transactions list from my brokerage's "Transactions"
  page>     2. Write a small script to convert
  Transactions list into AFL >     buy/sell
  signals...e.g.> >
  ...>     Buy=Buy OR (DateNum()==1031118 AND
  Name()=="URMP");>     Buysize=
  IIf(DateNum()==1031118 AND
  Name()=="URMP",6000,buysize);>
  BuyPrice=IIf(DateNum()==1031118 AND
  Name()=="URMP",0.225,BuyPrice);>
  ...> >     4. Copy/Paste the AFL  code
  into AA window>     5. Add following line:>
  >     PositionSize=Buysize*BuyPrice;>
  >     6. Run Portfolio Backtester>
  >     and Voila!...i get a plethora of metrics
  telling me how well i am >     doing, i get
  account equity curves, trade equity curves, i get trade
  >     by trade P/L and MAE info and much
  more!...This is extremely useful >
  information to have if you are a discretionary (or
  semi->     discretionary trader). It is interesting
  to start looking at your >     own
  discretionary trading as a system, because in the end it all
  >     boils down to buy/sell signals and you can
  see what areas you need >     to work on..Even
  if you are trading a system (or trying to :) ),
  >     using this approach can provide valuable
  information regarding the >     difference
  between perceived theoretical performance of your system
  >     and actual measured performance. It can show
  you where your actual >     results are
  deviating from the theoretical expectations.>
  >     Through this post I also would like to draw
  attention to the fact >     that implementing
  pyramiding is an essential step towards the >
  maturing of the portfolio backtester. Right now, for example,
  >     Portfolio backtester gets the P/L wrong on
  some trades just because >     pyramiding is
  not yet implemented. It retains the share size of the
  >     first trade even if i bought the same
  security multiple times before >     selling. I
  do not know of a way to get around this except to wait
  >     patiently for pyramiding to be implemented (i
  am open to >     suggestions?)>
  >     I thank Tomasz for providing such a nice tool
  and continuing to >     improve the product
  with great momentum. I am *really* looking >
  forward to seeing pyramiding implemented in the near future.>
  >     Thanks and Best regards to
  all>     g> > >
  bugs@xxxx>     Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx>