[amibroker] Re: Using Portfolio Backtester To Track Performance - Need Pyramiding

Yes Gary, or more accurately, "Tomasz, you give us a mile we ask for
100 miles"!, i just thought it would be bordering on blasphemous to
compare Amibroker (or the Portfolio Backtester for that matter) to
an "inch" but I am sure it was a Freudian slip :)

What is the "amibroker-beta list"? Is there a secret beta list which
I am not a part of :0) If someone has the message number of the
thread Tomasz is referring to please let me know.

Thanks and best regards

> Gary,
>
> See the previous discussion on this on amibroker-beta list.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

fills to what AmiBroker was filled to ensure you've accounted for
slippage properly.

>   All of this can be tracked offline in Excel, Access, etc., but
it would be sweet to have the functionality built into AB.

>   You see Tomasz, you give us an inch, and we ask for a mile : )
>
>   Regards,
>   Gary
>

>   giggollo99 <giggollo@xxxx> wrote:
>     One interesting way I have started using the new Portfolio
>     Backtester is to track my own live trading performance. Here's
how:

>     1. Extract transactions list from my
brokerage's "Transactions" page
>     2. Write a small script to convert Transactions list into AFL
>     buy/sell signals...e.g.

>     Buy=Buy OR (DateNum()==1031118 AND Name()=="URMP");
>     Buysize= IIf(DateNum()==1031118 AND Name()
=="URMP",6000,buysize);
>     BuyPrice=IIf(DateNum()==1031118 AND Name()
=="URMP",0.225,BuyPrice);

>     4. Copy/Paste the AFL  code into AA window
>     5. Add following line:
>
>     PositionSize=Buysize*BuyPrice;
>
>     6. Run Portfolio Backtester
>
>     and Voila!...i get a plethora of metrics telling me how well i
am
>     doing, i get account equity curves, trade equity curves, i get
trade
>     by trade P/L and MAE info and much more!...This is extremely
useful
>     information to have if you are a discretionary (or semi-
>     discretionary trader). It is interesting to start looking at
your
>     own discretionary trading as a system, because in the end it
all
>     boils down to buy/sell signals and you can see what areas you
need
>     to work on..Even if you are trading a system (or trying
to :) ),
>     using this approach can provide valuable information regarding
the
>     difference between perceived theoretical performance of your
system
>     and actual measured performance. It can show you where your
actual
>     results are deviating from the theoretical expectations.
>
>     Through this post I also would like to draw attention to the
fact
>     that implementing pyramiding is an essential step towards the
>     maturing of the portfolio backtester. Right now, for example,
>     Portfolio backtester gets the P/L wrong on some trades just
because
>     pyramiding is not yet implemented. It retains the share size
of the
>     first trade even if i bought the same security multiple times
before
>     selling. I do not know of a way to get around this except to
wait
>     patiently for pyramiding to be implemented (i am open to
>     suggestions?)
>
>     I thank Tomasz for providing such a nice tool and continuing
>     improve the product with great momentum. I am *really* looking
>     forward to seeing pyramiding implemented in the near future.
>
>     Thanks and Best regards to all
>

>     Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>     Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
Service.