  >From:
  <A title=quanttrader714@xxxxxxxxx
  href="">quanttrader714
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 4:46
  PM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: On Robustness,
  Post #1
  Dave, My comments are below.--- In <A
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave
  Merrill" <dmerrill@x...> wrote:>
  Mark, thanks a ton for doing thisYou're welcome.> >
  > Test *unoptimized* system> > hmmm. what does unoptimized
  mean? "traditional" parameter settings,if they> exist, like
  MACD(12, 26, 9)? it's hard to see how there is such athing as>
  "neutral" settings. the traditional settings must have come fromtests
  on> some particular type of equity in some specific time frame. but
  Iunderstand> you're saying not to tweak for this portfolio and time
  frame.I start with the settings someone provides or default settings
  andexpand from there if I think there's potential (as outlined in my
  postto Dale).  But don't limit yourself to traditional
  indicators.  Forexample, look at patterns consisting of relationships
  between pricearrays for different numbers of bars.>
  questions:> > - I'm not coming up with a plausable 2 year
  sidewise period. I seeperiods> that long that net flat, but they
  have significant rises and fallswithin> them, which isn't really
  the idea. I know you don't want to discuss your> proprietary time
  periods in too much detail, but I'm looking at the naz> composite; is
  that the problem? got a quantified definition of "flat"?> Think
  in terms of blunt tools.  Nothing magic about 2 year intervalsor any
  definition of flat that I can think of.  Looking at a chart,there are
  recent 2 year bull and bear periods that are pretty obvious.If you don't
  see a 2 year flat period you're comfortable with, choosea smaller
  window.  Bottom line is pretty much no matter what youchoose, if you
  find systems that are profitable across the stocks andtime periods as I've
  outlined, they're probably robust.> - do you use the current
  components of each index for all yourtests? or do> you have
  historical versions of each of them, corresponding to the time> periods
  you test with? if so, where do you get
  them?Current.Regards,Mark> >
  -----------> > not directly related to this specifc post, but
  relevant, I've beenthinking> about trading systems as dividing into
  two basic camps, trackingsystems and> opportunistic systems.
  tracking systems try to call the profitablemarket> direction at any
  given time for each equity you point them at.opportunistic> systems
  look for profitable setups somewhere in the universe of equities>
  they're watching, and may have no opinion on any particular equityat
  any> particular time.> > these two methods are
  fundamentally different. one needs tounderstand the> dynamics
  behind each stock well enough to try to sense itsforthcoming price>
  moves all the time. opportunistic systems may not understandanything at
  all> about 98% of the price action on each stock, profiting instead
  fromthe 2%> of the time when they recognize a pattern whose
  implications about the> future they can predict.> > do we
  need to test these two types of systems differently?
  anopportunistic> system knows when it works and when it doesn't,
  and sticks to whatit knows.> tracking systems need to function in
  all kinds of weather to besuccessful.> >
  dave
  Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSend SUGGESTIONS to
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.

<BLOCKQUOTE
><FONT
  face="Courier New">---Outgoing mail is certified Virus
  Free.Checked by AVG anti-virus system (<A
  href="">http://www.grisoft.com).Version: 6.0.525
  / Virus Database: 322 - Release Date:
10/9/2003