[amibroker] Re: On Robustness, Post #1

Dave,

My comments are below.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx> wrote:
> Mark, thanks a ton for doing this

You're welcome.

> > Test *unoptimized* system
>
> hmmm. what does unoptimized mean? "traditional" parameter settings,
if they
> exist, like MACD(12, 26, 9)? it's hard to see how there is such a
thing as
> "neutral" settings. the traditional settings must have come from
tests on
> some particular type of equity in some specific time frame. but I
understand
> you're saying not to tweak for this portfolio and time frame.

I start with the settings someone provides or default settings and
expand from there if I think there's potential (as outlined in my post
to Dale).  But don't limit yourself to traditional indicators.  For
example, look at patterns consisting of relationships between price
arrays for different numbers of bars.

> questions:
>
> - I'm not coming up with a plausable 2 year sidewise period. I see
periods
> that long that net flat, but they have significant rises and falls
within
> them, which isn't really the idea. I know you don't want to discuss your
> proprietary time periods in too much detail, but I'm looking at the naz
> composite; is that the problem? got a quantified definition of "flat"?

Think in terms of blunt tools.  Nothing magic about 2 year intervals
or any definition of flat that I can think of.  Looking at a chart,
there are recent 2 year bull and bear periods that are pretty obvious.
 If you don't see a 2 year flat period you're comfortable with, choose
a smaller window.  Bottom line is pretty much no matter what you
choose, if you find systems that are profitable across the stocks and
time periods as I've outlined, they're probably robust.

> - do you use the current components of each index for all your
tests? or do
> you have historical versions of each of them, corresponding to the time
> periods you test with? if so, where do you get them?

Current.

Regards,

Mark

> not directly related to this specifc post, but relevant, I've been
thinking
> about trading systems as dividing into two basic camps, tracking
systems and
> opportunistic systems. tracking systems try to call the profitable
market
> direction at any given time for each equity you point them at.
opportunistic

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511