RE: [amibroker] Re: Good & Bad Re-Optimizations (for Dave)

Dave:

It depends on what you mean by "adjacent" (sorry for sounding like Bill
Clinton). If your parameter values in 3-D space signify a local maximum
(like, for example, ranging from 17 to 20 giving you profits of 2000 to
2200% where parameter values of > 21 or < 16 give you profits of 1000% or
less), then those nicely performing 'adjacent' parameter values won't be
robust, and you will likely suffer from losses when you use them in future
trading. However, if the parameter values give you a reasonably good
profitability from, say, 12 to 24 (like 1500 to 2000% or so), then you have
a fairly robust system that should perform well at any parameter value
between 12 and 24 without having to constantly re-optimize. The ideal is to
have a flat response area of the dependent variable against the parameter
values of the independent variables. And of course, as Fred said,
optimizing over both bullish AND bearish AND sideways periods is ideally
the best way to do it.

Do yourself a favor and pick up Robert Pardo's book on developing and
optimizing a trading system. He spends lots of time and space discussing
backtesting and walk-forward testing. I think it is an excellent resource
in this interesting subject area.

Al Venosa