[amibroker] Re: Sectors/industries in QP3...

Gary,

Thanks. Yeah I did the Retrieve, etc. ...

The behavior is actually a bit interesting. In fact, what I have with
first sector/industry as Undefined/Undefined is actually what I want,
even with QP3. In my sectors and industries files, I have those first
ones defined as "Other", btw, not "Undefined", but they show up
as "Undefined". So QP3 plugin somehow/somewhere seems to be doing
some name matching, and marking them undefined.

The end result, however, is that all the stocks that don't really
belong to any legit group end up there, which is what I want.

It looks like the plugin never uses zero as a ID (at least seems to
be true with sectors, didn't check thoroughly with industries), so
its not likely to be a problem either way, *I think*, because whether
one has Undefined/Undefined pair or not, all the "dangling" stocks
probably get zero as their sec/ind values.

Jitu

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A. Serkhoshian"
<serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:
> Jitu,
>
> You probably already know this, but when you click the Retrieve
button in Database Settings the Sectors and Industry Groups for QP
get set up automatically.

> The problem I've found, which Tomasz is aware of is that if you
select New Database, you can not choose to have blank Sector and
Industry Group names.  Instead it copies over the current database
Sector and Industry Group names to the new database.  This can be
confusing until you figure out what happened : )

> Hope some of this helps.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Gary
>
> jtelang <jtelang@xxxx> wrote:
> Some more info. It seems I had Undefined/Undefined in my default
> broker.sectors and broker.industries. (I remember adding it). I
guess
> then my question is slightly different...
>
> If a DB setup initially uses my default files, how do QP3's
> definitions get synchronized with the setup? Is it a name matching
> process, or should the initial default broker.sectors and
> broker.industries files be "clean" (as they came with AB install)
in
> order for QP3 sector/industry definitions to work correctly?
>
> Also, since not all stocks in the DB may be part of a
sector/industry
> (I assume that to be the case with QP3 as well), how should I
> differentiate between those who truly belong to sector/industry 0
vs.
> the ones that don't belong anywhere? The default IndustryID() and
> SectorID() value is zero, correct?
>
> TIA,
>
> Jitu
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtelang" <jtelang@xxxx> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have two machines with AB/QP3 setup. For some reason, one of
the
> > machines has Undefined sector with Undefined industry in it as
the
> > first sector/industry in it, while the other one does not. Does
> > anyone has any ideas what could've caused this?
> >
> > Also, Tomasz, the broker.sectors and broker.industries in the AB
> > directory has no bearing on the workspace (DB) AFTER its setup,
> > right? As far as I can tell from the docs, they're used only when
> the
> > first time DB is setup? Does the QP3 plugin basically ignore 'em
> and
> > uses their internal definitions (and store them elsewhere)?
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Jitu
>

> Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
>
> Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx