  >From:
  Howard
  Bandy
  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2003 12:53
  AM
  Subject: RE: [amibroker] Random Data
  Generator

  <SPAN
  >Hi John and Al
  –
  <SPAN

  >I made one response
  about the AmiBroker random number generator earlier.  But this message
  cries out for another.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >In my opinion, it is
  a valuable technique to add a small random perturbation to historical O, H, L,
  C data.  This will test the sensitivity of a system to small changes in
  data.  If you use this technique, plan to make a lot of runs and do a lot
  of statistical analysis.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >In my opinion, use of
  completely artificial or random data is Not a valuable technique.  In
  order to generate a meaningful series of data (in terms of training a system
  to be profitable in the future), we would have to completely understand the
  complexities of it.  If we understood that, we could just write a trading
  system that took advantage of that knowledge.  If you use artificial or
  random data to develop your system, be very careful to test on truly out of
  sample Real historical data.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Howard