Re: [inbx] RE: [investment] RE: [amibroker] Will systems degrade? (was Optimization)

Howard,

To me this is a good example of a poor system. It was simply
looking at the stocks which had done best over the past few (say 3) years -
nothing else. I was trying to point out that, for me, my 'systems' have become
more robust by considering more varied market conditions. Testing over three
years of raging bull market can give you a superb system over the following 2
years of bull market, but hold onto your hat come March 2000!

Steve
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <SPAN
  >Hi Steve
  –
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I think you just gave
  a good example of a profitable system that did fail.  In my opinion, our
  models are static representations of dynamic markets.  Whenever the
  market characteristics change in a way that our model does not recognize, for
  whatever reason, then that model has failed.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >But, if you are
  talking about investing in MSFT, CSCO, etc because of fundamental data (great
  earnings, super analyst recommendation, etc) rather than technical data, I
  have very strong feelings that that will never work.  I’ve posted on the
  HolyGrailSM forum about that.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I wish I could trade
  yesterday’s charts – I’ve got some great systems for them.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Big
  grin.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Howard
  <SPAN

  <DIV

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Steve
  Almond [mailto:steve2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 12:41
  PMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: Re: [investment] RE: [amibroker]
  Will systems degrade? (was Optimization)
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I'm not sure this idea of profitable systems 'failing'
  is actually true. I (along with millions of others) hit on a superb system in
  1998. It was called invest in MSFT, CSCO, DELL and AOL. (let's call it a
  momentum system). It worked superbly until about March 2000. It didn't work
  after that, but I don't believe it was due to inefficiencies of the market
  disappearing. It no longer worked because the market changed (and the
  system didn't have the ability to change with that market).

  <SPAN
  >NOW I can develop systems that work (with
  hindsight/data mining/curve fitting) all the way from 1998 to today. Will they
  continue to work into the future? Maybe (although judging just by today, the
  answer is no....), but I'm fairly sure they have a much better chance that the
  MSFT etc. system.

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Steve
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >seems like
    one corollary of this is that as soon as we figure out something that
    appears profitable, we should move quickly, before its advantage disappears.

    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >it also
    seems like the notions of backtesting and optimization are unlikely to
    succeed, even more so the further back you go, since whatever advantages
    they indicate have probably already evaporated. unless they just happen to
    be recurring again now...

    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >frankly,
    it's hard to see how rational trading system design is possible in a world
    like this. or am I just depressed?

    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    >dave
  <SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
  face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
  face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
  amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
  page: <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
  face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A
  Your
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of
  Service.
  Send